[4]

[Lathe] My first post and Lathe ID

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dcnera05

Registered
Greetings everyone from the state of Maine. I recently bought a really old lathe from an acquaintance as he was moving out of state. It resided in his basement for 30 years and got quite dirty and a little rusty. I have now disassembled and mostly reassembled it but I have seen not a one identifying mark so far. There’s a bit of caking on it so perhaps I haven’t uncovered it yet. It is a treadle lathe. I know it came from Canada and the guy I bought it from says his grandpa bought it at auction in Montreal back in 1930. I got so much tooling and stuff with it and being a complete novice I have no idea what a lot of it is. I have done many a google search but haven’t seen a lathe quite like it. Thanks for looking and I can’t wait to learn from everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Looks European or British to me.

dcnera05

Registered
Looks European or British to me.
Hmm, I’ll research in that direction and see what turns up thanks!

external power

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
That is just plain ol awesome. I guess I like everything old school.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Certainly a rare and interesting lathe, most likely English or european from the carriage handwheel on the right side. I didn't know Donald had a cigar company.. :grin:

dcnera05

Registered
I know, I couldn’t pass it up. It just had a look to it that said, “take me home!” I’ve still run into nothing in terms of knowing just how to identify it. Although it shares many features with a Brittania, they never made a model that quite looked like this one, and many of the minor details such as knobs and wheels are quite different. I know it was bought in Montreal at an auction in 1930. Maybe it was imported, but does anyone think it possible that a Canadian company made it in the same fashion as European/British lathes were?

dcnera05

Registered
Certainly a rare and interesting lathe, most likely English or european from the carriage handwheel on the right side. I didn't know Donald had a cigar company.. :grin:
Haha yes I get a lot of Trump comments on that old cigar box. Keeps the conversation lively ha.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
One of Trumps grandfather or great grandfather , made his money in the Klondike during the gold rush years. I think he had a business or two back in the 1890s . But that's a Kool lathe museum quality I bet.

JPigg55

Active User

dcnera05

Registered
I did some looking here also: http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html
There's a search bar just under where it says: "Machine Tool REFERENCE ARCHIVE - lathes.co.uk"
I typed in treadle lathe and a few results came up. The ones that looked most similar were the Barnes & Britannia.
Thanks for the link. I’ll have to pour through it and see what comes up. Britannia is so close.

[6]
[5] [7]