[Lathe] My first post and Lathe ID

dcnera05

Registered
Registered
Greetings everyone from the state of Maine. I recently bought a really old lathe from an acquaintance as he was moving out of state. It resided in his basement for 30 years and got quite dirty and a little rusty. I have now disassembled and mostly reassembled it but I have seen not a one identifying mark so far. There’s a bit of caking on it so perhaps I haven’t uncovered it yet. It is a treadle lathe. I know it came from Canada and the guy I bought it from says his grandpa bought it at auction in Montreal back in 1930. I got so much tooling and stuff with it and being a complete novice I have no idea what a lot of it is. I have done many a google search but haven’t seen a lathe quite like it. Thanks for looking and I can’t wait to learn from everyone!
9477477bef737eb3b4caaab78b2611bf.jpg
03f903ae5c9a0070b67de0a80af98e0e.jpg
6f4b993eff5b5b135fa6f1af127e73f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly a rare and interesting lathe, most likely English or european from the carriage handwheel on the right side. I didn't know Donald had a cigar company.. :grin:

I know, I couldn’t pass it up. It just had a look to it that said, “take me home!” I’ve still run into nothing in terms of knowing just how to identify it. Although it shares many features with a Brittania, they never made a model that quite looked like this one, and many of the minor details such as knobs and wheels are quite different. I know it was bought in Montreal at an auction in 1930. Maybe it was imported, but does anyone think it possible that a Canadian company made it in the same fashion as European/British lathes were?

Certainly a rare and interesting lathe, most likely English or european from the carriage handwheel on the right side. I didn't know Donald had a cigar company.. :grin:

Haha yes I get a lot of Trump comments on that old cigar box. Keeps the conversation lively ha.

One of Trumps grandfather or great grandfather , made his money in the Klondike during the gold rush years. I think he had a business or two back in the 1890s . But that's a Kool lathe museum quality I bet.

Back