My first project, a spindle wrench

Gravydog

Registered
Registered
Now that my mill is all set up, I found my first real use for it. To tighten or loosen the collet drawbar you are supposed to open the top cover and hold the pulley with your hand, but that doesn't seem ideal. I have seen the commercially available spindle wrench but in my case, at least, the spindle splines don't protrude above the closed cover so I needed a wrench with more of a socket style that could go down in the hole in the cover to reach the splines. This is how I did it:

First, I roughed out a blank (1.5" OD) on the lathe for the "socket" and drilled a 1/4" hole through it. I cut it off with my horizontal band saw rather than bothering to part it off since I had to finish the back side of it anyway.

20191019_111727_HDR.jpg

I mounted the blank in the vise with V blocks and parallels below it. I carefully chose the height of the head so that I would be able to fit the coaxial indicator in the drill chuck and also have enough quill travel to reach the part with a center drill. Thinking about it later, I could have mounted the indicator in a collet instead of the drill chuck and saved a lot of distance.

20191019_113552.jpg

After centering the part, I zeroed the readings on the DRO (not actually necessary once physically centered) and then entered the bolt circle program.

20191019_114651_HDR.jpg

I don't know how hard it is to use a bolt circle function on a strictly numeric DRO but I really like the graphic display on this one. You can see where you are easily and follow the steps in order or move to any hole you want in any order. For instance, you could drill all six holes with only setting the Y position 3 times by going left-right-up-down instead of in a circle for more economy of motion. I started all six holes with a center drill and then stepped through them again with a 9/32" bit that I chose to fit over the male splines.

20191019_120920_HDR.jpg

Next, I changed the spindle speed to my lowest setting and drilled out the center with a 7/8" bit.

20191019_121812.jpg

Next, I put the part back in the lathe. I bored the center out to a little over 23mm for an easy fit over the base diameter of the splines and then faced and chamfered both faces, inside and out. When I checked the fit on the splines, I was very happy with it.

20191019_123130.jpg

Finally, I made a handle and welded it on and painted the wrench. It fulfilled my vision for it which is always very satisfying.

20191021_121005.jpg

20191023_104248.jpg

Now my mill is all dressed up and nowhere to go! I don't know what to make next.

Rob

Last edited:
Nicely done. Now I think I have to make one myself.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Very cool. My mill is a little different setup but I can make it work by drilling the cover. My shaft isn't splined though and is about 2.5" in diameter with spanner slots on it and sits some yet to be determined distance below the cover so I will have to work out a way to create something that will fit. Having to open the cover to change tools is a pain.

I almost never need to use a wrench. I grab whatever is in the spindle and loosen the drawbar, give it a quick tap to break it loose and it's out.

I almost never need to use a wrench. I grab whatever is in the spindle and loosen the drawbar, give it a quick tap to break it loose and it's out.
I typically don't need a wrench to remove tooling, but getting a tight hold of larger tools especially, would be much easier with that wrench.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I honestly cannot recall a time that I needed a wrench except when working on the spindle or spindle bearings. Guess we all have different needs. Regardless, you did a nice job on that wrench.

I like your wrench better than the flat ones. I bought one of the flat ones and it left burrs on the splines and caused the spindle to drag which it had never done before. So I went back to doing like it did before, grabbing the hub and use the 17mm wrench on the drawbar. I think your. wrench would be an easier solution that making a spindle brake so I didn't have to open the belt cover all the time. Good job.

@Gravydog

If that's your first project, I can't wait for the next one!

Well done.
-brino

Back