My first retirement project - Logan 820 clean up and put back together.

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
I had purchased a basket case Logan 200 lathe about 2 years ago as part of my new metal working hobby, and planned on putting it back together and up and running once I retired. Well last Thursday, November 8, was my last working day and on Saturday morning I was looking at CL's and noticed a 820 Logan for sale about 3 hours east of me. I excitedly told my wife about it and the first thing she said “why aren't you calling him up about it”? Which I immediately did and 7 hours latter, and $875 less money, I was unloading and moving it to my 10'x14' wood shed workshop.

It had a decent amount of tooling (way more than my 200) and I just couldn't pass it up. So now the 820 is my first retirement project and I will document the cleanup/fixing/getting running process. I will not paint as I kind of like the patina of old arn and this lathe is really not in bad shape.

I still plan on getting the 200 put together/up and running and then CL's for some happy new lathe owner.

This is the CL's posting and lathe in back of my wife's CRV.
logna 820 lathe craigslist.jpg

Heading home.
20181111_1.jpg
20181111_2.jpg
20181111_3.jpg
20181111_4.jpg

Unloaded.
20181111_5.jpg

20181111_6.jpg20181111_7.jpg

20181111_8.jpg
20181111_9.jpg
20181111_10.jpg20181111_11.jpg

While not related to the 820, I purchased these hammers for $55 on Sunday. There is a solid brass and copper which I really wanted.20181117_171814.jpg

20181111_2.jpg

Last edited:
Harry,
This is great, and funny. I also brought my new Logan 820 home a week ago in our CRV! It is now assembled and working, although not turning yet....I need to make some bits.

Tim

The 820 is a sweet machine. Congratulations to both of you. And now I know that I’ll need a CRV to move a lathe.

Harry
First, congrats on the retirement.
Second, what a great first project, looks like you have got yourself a nice, clean machine to start with.
Keep us posted with pics as you progress.

Day 1

Yesterday I cleaned off my work bench, put together my engine hoist and managed to get the bed on top of my work bench in order to start the cleaning up process. I stored the rest of the lathe in my yard cart which will be my staging area for this process.

At my stage of life (72 next May, 5'10” and 160 lbs) I'm not up to any heavy lifting so I rely on maneuvering my engine hoist around a very cramped work space. My motto for moving heaving pieces of equipment is that I just need to be smarted than the piece of equipment I am moving and I always plan on where I am (never under it unless it has a sold support under it) in relationship to the piece of equipment and where I will move if it starts to fall.

My plan is to clean up the legs, pan and bed, put those together and then start cleaning up/repairing as necessary the rest of the lathe.

20181117_1.jpg

20181117_2.jpg
20181117_3.jpg
20181117_4.jpg
20181118_5.jpg

Harry,
This is great, and funny. I also brought my new Logan 820 home a week ago in our CRV! It is now assembled and working, although not turning yet....I need to make some bits.

Tim
Pictures?

Sadly, I didn't take pics of the loaded car. It was late night, that car was fully loaded with the 820, the 100+lbs of stuff that came with it, and three guys, driving down through NYC to lower Manhattan. An adventure for the ages. Here it is a few days ago, reassembled in my apartment shop. Getting there...I've cleaned all the gunk off everything but the gear box and motor. Paint will not be restored; I like it as is and much like the US Army paint underneath the top coat. Also there is now a set of vintage heavy wooden drawers underneath.

Tim
Logan 820.jpg

Sadly, I didn't take pics of the loaded car. It was late night, that car was fully loaded with the 820, the 100+lbs of stuff that came with it, and three guys, driving down through NYC to lower Manhattan. An adventure for the ages. Here it is a few days ago, reassembled in my apartment shop. Getting there...I've cleaned all the gunk off everything but the gear box and motor. Paint will not be restored; I like it as is and much like the US Army paint underneath the top coat. Also there is now a set of vintage heavy wooden drawers underneath.

Tim
View attachment 280119
Looks to be in really good shape!

This is my first purchase where I was not unloading the car after sunset so taking pics was easy.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your restoration pictures!
Tim

Congrats on the new lathe. If you have the serial number (edge of bed, right hand side) the year it was built can be looked up
on Logan's website. My model 200 has the same OD green paint and it was built during WWII. I would suggest buying the parts
list and operating instructions from Logan: they'll be a huge help and if you need to buy parts from Logan, you'll need the part
numbers. http://www.lathe.com

Keep those posts coming. It looks like you're off to a good start.

Back