My first steam engine

Hence the need for a 4 jaw chuck Charles?

Cheers Phil

Well it would definitely make that easier Phil, and I'm also on the way to a 3.25" reflecting telescope where I will be attempting to make the focuser unit from a rectangular chunk of cast aly.
So many projects on the burner at the same time.:lmao:
I'm at a halt on the engine till I sort out all the silver soldering operations I have to do at the same time.
The valve chest has to be in two pieces because of the exhaust manifold in the middle.
The only place I can find the ribbon ss is Brownalls in the states so I havnt ordered that yet.
I think the best way forward on this is going to be wiring everything place and sitting it in the furnace.

If you need ribbon solder, buy wire and visit a jeweler with a wire rolling mill. A simple rolling operation to convert it to ribbon of what ever thickness you need. I trade some small machining for him in exchange for the use of his rolling mill. He will have sources for silver solder too, in three or four different melting temperatures for doing really tricky soldering work. Jewelry supply store are a machinist friend. I use all sorts of tools from them. A jewelers saw is just a tiny hack saw. Blades are cheep and in many tooth counts. Tweezers, abrasive stones, and such. Get a catalog or two. Good reading on the "can" too. I find the small torch they use to be very handy too. Small welding and soldering with ease.

Hi
Earlier you mentioned either brazing the cylinder or silver solder.

You might try sheet brass in the join and heat the whole assembly. furnace braze?
I think I have seen this in other applications.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for the sheet brass idea, I have a furnace so may give it a try.
The project is on hold for the moment as I welded the manifold to the cylinder but the penetration screwed up the inside bore.
Maybe do it again but leave the boring to the end.
Still fancy the silver solder though for next time.

The project is on hold for the moment as I welded the manifold to the cylinder but the penetration screwed up the inside bore.
Well I think you answered your own question there Charles
.....anyone think of a reason not to?
Boring it afterwards might be hard on your tools. I imagine that the hardness of the metal will have gone up as a result of the weld heat?

cheers Phil

I started this steam engine project a long time ago but stalled when many other projects took over.
As I had made a crankshaft just for an exercise to see if I could I decided to copy those posts and add them to this one as I have a feeling I will eventually complete a build.
Whether it will run is another question and I hope it doesn't take as long as the giant binocular is taking.
The original posts will remain where they are so any comments they evoked wont be lost and I will preface the copies with their date so a time line can be seen. (I'm not a fast worker.)

Feb 25, 2019
I had a go at turning a crankshaft, I dont have a use for it (yet) it was just for kicks to see if I could.

Got this far then Whoops! crashed the tool onto the chuck and snapped the belt and the parting tool.

Jun 25, 2019
Got totally cheesed off as I cant finish the sandblasting so went back to making a crankshaft just to see what was involved.
I got it finished and it seems to run true.

cshaft1.jpg

The only hard part was using the parting tool to finish off the main bearing part.

cshaft2.jpg

Now I have to come up with a use for this chunk of steel.
Guess I had better restart the steam engine I was attempting (and failed) a while ago.

Back