I made this wobbler just for fun.
José.

Wobler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
author=DaveH link=topic=3084.msg21850#msg21850 date=1313169576
Jose,

Well that's pretty neat, and have you run it yet. ###

DaveH

Sure! I ran it on the air compressor and it flies, but I was able to run it from the foot pump; I tried it on lung power but it wouldn't go on my lungs. %%

José

Looks awesome Jose!!
+++

Love the way you used different metals for the parts!
Really looks great!!

Andrew

My first steam engine spoked flywheel

Hi,

I decided that my little wobbler deserved a spoked flywheel in place of the original blind one, so I made this:

My raw materials were quite vulgar:
[attachimg=2][attachimg=3]

The bolt's head was to become the flywheel hub, for which it was bored and tap drilled M4 seven times, on the faces and on the cannon. The spokes were cut from one of the 6mm nails, drilled through and held in place with M4 screws; these went through holes in a brass collar fabricated from the pipe fitting.
[attachimg=4]

The rim was a wood collar epoxied to the brass collar; here the finished flywheel in the little engine.

IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0237.JPG

Very nicely done Jose. I too like the wide range of materials used...give it more character!!

Bill

Hi,

Thank you Dave and Bill, I enjoyed building this project and I'm proud of it but hey! I've seen your projects and they are from another world.

Best regards,
José

What kind of wood is that? Did it naturally come out that white, or is it painted?

author=rleete link=topic=3084.msg23789#msg23789 date=1314731146
What kind of wood is that? Did it naturally come out that white, or is it painted?

This is the natural colour but I can't tell you exactly what wood it is; it's probably apple tree but it could be another fruit tree, because this came from a log that was destined for burning and had previously been pruned from one of the trees in the garden.## I can still check what kind of tree it came from, if you're really interested. <>

Best regards,
José

author=cyrusb link=topic=3084.msg23796#msg23796 date=1314736360
How does it run with the new wheel?

The new wheel is lighter but the diameter is larger, so I suppose the inertia isn't that different; it seems to run the same with both wheels, if there is any difference at all it's when the engine is running really slow.

José

Back