My first try at an engine

RWanke

Registered
Registered
Worked all week in the shop on my rendition of a simple wobbler instead of doing things on my Honey Do list. I am building this for a Christmas present for a friend of mine. I hope he'll appreciate it. Every part was machined on my South Bend 9c. Still going to trim and polish up the supports and do some painting and bluing of the steel parts. I tried to get a little fancy with the cylinder by turning it round, top and bottom. I plan on powering this with a compressed air can that is used for an air horn as my friend doesn't have an air compressor. I hope to disguise the can as a boiler. I just need to figure out what the thread is on the end of the can.IMG_6912.JPG
IMG_6911.JPG

Wow that is a cool idea on the "air can" as a boiler. And the engine looks great.

Hi RW,
very cool engine!
i'm looking at making one soon.
nice work :grin:

I 'think" I may have figured out the thread. It's really tough seeing a thread gauge inside the air horn fitting that fits the air can using a 2.5 magnifier (old eyes) and the threads on the can itself are recessed and aren't really sharp Vs. They kinda look square at the bottom of the thread??. I think it's a 7/16 - 28. Machinery handbook lists a 7/16 - 28 UNEF that major and minor diameters are real close to what I'm measuring. I checked my large collection of taps and I don't have a tap this size. The only nut I have been able to find is 18-8 SS. I may just order a tap from McMaster Carr and hope it's right. If it is the correct thread making the opening/closing valve for the end of the can should be fairly simple and straight forward. I am going to use a regular compression fitting needle valve for controlling air flow to the engine. Using 1/4" copper tubing to plumb it.

Just a point to consider - as your in the usa is it a small pipe thread? possibly tapered.
Just a thought.

Just a point to consider - as your in the usa is it a small pipe thread? possibly tapered.
Just a thought.

I considered a tapered thread but they definitely do not look like a pipe thread. I actually was surprised that the thread is not something metric or etc. Haven't looked as to where the air can/horn is manufactured.

I think you can purchase a can of air with a valve attachment. They are made for airbrushes

Back