[4]

My first try at an engine

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

RWanke

Registered
Worked all week in the shop on my rendition of a simple wobbler instead of doing things on my Honey Do list. I am building this for a Christmas present for a friend of mine. I hope he'll appreciate it. Every part was machined on my South Bend 9c. Still going to trim and polish up the supports and do some painting and bluing of the steel parts. I tried to get a little fancy with the cylinder by turning it round, top and bottom. I plan on powering this with a compressed air can that is used for an air horn as my friend doesn't have an air compressor. I hope to disguise the can as a boiler. I just need to figure out what the thread is on the end of the can.IMG_6912.JPG
IMG_6911.JPG

34_40

Just a beginner
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Wow that is a cool idea on the "air can" as a boiler. And the engine looks great.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Hi RW,
very cool engine!
i'm looking at making one soon.
nice work :grin:

RWanke

Registered
I 'think" I may have figured out the thread. It's really tough seeing a thread gauge inside the air horn fitting that fits the air can using a 2.5 magnifier (old eyes) and the threads on the can itself are recessed and aren't really sharp Vs. They kinda look square at the bottom of the thread??. I think it's a 7/16 - 28. Machinery handbook lists a 7/16 - 28 UNEF that major and minor diameters are real close to what I'm measuring. I checked my large collection of taps and I don't have a tap this size. The only nut I have been able to find is 18-8 SS. I may just order a tap from McMaster Carr and hope it's right. If it is the correct thread making the opening/closing valve for the end of the can should be fairly simple and straight forward. I am going to use a regular compression fitting needle valve for controlling air flow to the engine. Using 1/4" copper tubing to plumb it.

savarin

Active User
Just a point to consider - as your in the usa is it a small pipe thread? possibly tapered.
Just a thought.

RWanke

Registered
Just a point to consider - as your in the usa is it a small pipe thread? possibly tapered.
Just a thought.
I considered a tapered thread but they definitely do not look like a pipe thread. I actually was surprised that the thread is not something metric or etc. Haven't looked as to where the air can/horn is manufactured.

fixit

Active User
I think you can purchase a can of air with a valve attachment. They are made for airbrushes

RWanke

Registered
Hmmm. That's interesting. Never thought about an air brush setup. I would almost bet they use the same air cans. I will have to run over to Hobby Lobby and Michaels today and check that out. They have one on Amazon that is just the air brush, valve, and hose for less than $13. Thanks for the heads up.

RWanke

Registered
Got my tap yesterday. Definitely 7/16" - 28tpi. Now to make the can adapter and see if this thing will run off canned air. Will probably be a couple days to get back on this though.

RWanke

Registered
FAILURE!! I don't know why I didn't think about this but the air can does not work the way I was hoping. It will definitely power the small engine I built. Unfortunately it will not power it for very long. I don't know why I didn't think of the small volume of gas not lasting. I figure a can will run this thing for about 4-5 minutes tops. I will probably still give it to my friend in this form letting him know of it's downfall. I looked around for small air pumps that I could make look right on this as to scale and asthetics. No luck so far.

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Build a cylinder and put a schrader valve on it so it can be refilled, or maybe a paintball cylinder?

Firstram

Registered
20 oz CO2 paintball tank with a cheap regulator from Ebay.

I have several of these regs and they work well, I tapped the outlet to 1/8 NPT so I can use common fittings.

RWanke

Registered
My son actually suggested a paintball cylinder. I am going to have to look into these and see how small of one I can find and how expensive these are. Trying to stay on a budget for this.
Build a cylinder and put a schrader valve on it so it can be refilled, or maybe a paintball cylinder?
Any suggestions as to material to use for a homebuilt cylinder and end fittings (I don't own a welder anymore)? Most compressors will probably fill to less than 150psi. I don't want to build him a potential can that would blow up on him.

RWanke

Registered
This is what I have so far. Plan on doing a little bit of polishing and paint work on some of the parts. The gray parts of the can are covers I made from PVC conduit fittings. I still have one more to make to cover the white section of the can if I am going to stick with the air can. I had to bore the bottom "sleeve" very thin to get it to fit the can. Plus machining the bottom ring that holds the can to the board I am going to mount it all to was a bit of a challenge because of the piece of aluminum I had to machine it from. I am hoping whatever solution I come up with will somewhat look like what I have so far.

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

john.k

Registered
Make sure to put some oil into the airline. I gave a lad one of these simple motors,and he runs it off his mothers pressure cooker........when she isnt home....Use a rubber hose for steam,plastic melts.Fuel hose is ok...........and when the steam stops,the cooker has boiled dry.

[5] [7]