My first try at an engine

Got my tap yesterday. Definitely 7/16" - 28tpi. Now to make the can adapter and see if this thing will run off canned air. Will probably be a couple days to get back on this though.

FAILURE!! I don't know why I didn't think about this but the air can does not work the way I was hoping. It will definitely power the small engine I built. Unfortunately it will not power it for very long. I don't know why I didn't think of the small volume of gas not lasting. I figure a can will run this thing for about 4-5 minutes tops. I will probably still give it to my friend in this form letting him know of it's downfall. I looked around for small air pumps that I could make look right on this as to scale and asthetics. No luck so far.

Build a cylinder and put a schrader valve on it so it can be refilled, or maybe a paintball cylinder?

20 oz CO2 paintball tank with a cheap regulator from Ebay.

I have several of these regs and they work well, I tapped the outlet to 1/8 NPT so I can use common fittings.

My son actually suggested a paintball cylinder. I am going to have to look into these and see how small of one I can find and how expensive these are. Trying to stay on a budget for this.
Build a cylinder and put a schrader valve on it so it can be refilled, or maybe a paintball cylinder?

Any suggestions as to material to use for a homebuilt cylinder and end fittings (I don't own a welder anymore)? Most compressors will probably fill to less than 150psi. I don't want to build him a potential can that would blow up on him.

This is what I have so far. Plan on doing a little bit of polishing and paint work on some of the parts. The gray parts of the can are covers I made from PVC conduit fittings. I still have one more to make to cover the white section of the can if I am going to stick with the air can. I had to bore the bottom "sleeve" very thin to get it to fit the can. Plus machining the bottom ring that holds the can to the board I am going to mount it all to was a bit of a challenge because of the piece of aluminum I had to machine it from. I am hoping whatever solution I come up with will somewhat look like what I have so far.

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

Make sure to put some oil into the airline. I gave a lad one of these simple motors,and he runs it off his mothers pressure cooker........when she isnt home....Use a rubber hose for steam,plastic melts.Fuel hose is ok...........and when the steam stops,the cooker has boiled dry.

I finally got the time to finish this thing. I have incorporated a quick disconnect on the air line so that it can be hooked to an air compressor when available seeing as the air tank will only run this for about 4 minutes.
IMG_7001.JPG
IMG_7002.JPG

Back