My Free Lathe, Thanks To This Website

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Actually, my headline should read, "My Free Lathe, Thanks To Moderator/Staff Member Jim Dawson."

Thanks to Jim, I am now the owner of a complete 1941 Logan lathe! An older couple is selling their house, here in San Francisco, and were desperate to get rid of their metal lathe out of their garage before their house's open house that was set for yesterday.

The wife contacted Jim. Jim then private messaged me asking if I would take the lathe, and that it needed to be saved from the landfill.

There was no way I could say no, despite already having multiple lathes (I am planning on keeping 1 South Bend 9A, and 1 Craftsman 6" 101 lathe. The rest will be restored and sold. - or at least, that is what I am saying ;-) ).

When I arrived at their house to pickup the lathe, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the lathe came with its original lathe legs as well as the pedestal to hold the motor and countershaft.

It was a good thing I brought along my patient lift (I got it free off craigslist). The lift is rated for 400 lbs. I am planning on replacing the ram with a 750 lb one, should I ever find one for cheap.

Anyways, at the bottom of this post are pics of the lathe, and of the couple who also helped me load it into my poor, abused Pontiac Vibe hatchback car. I will also post a pic of what the lathe is supposed to look like when put together. By a weird coincidence, I happen to have a 53 or 54 inch lathe chip pan in my garage that happened to come off a Logan lathe!

I believe the lathe is a pre-Montgomery Ward Logan 200. Per what I read online, when complete with legs and motor, and stuff, this lathe weighs 520lbs.

I am wondering if there is any logical reason to keep this 10" Logan lathe, in addition to my 9" South Bend.

My excuse for keeping the smaller Craftsman is that, from what people told me, smaller lathes are better for turning very small stuff.

The Logan also has a 1-1/2" x 8 tpi spindle - the same as my South Bend. However, instead of being a 9", the Logan has a 10" swing. Plus, my South Bend has a QC box whereas the Logan doesn't. However, would that matter? All I need is one lathe with a QC box, right? Plus, I found plans in one of my "Best of Projects in Metal" books for making a QC box for the Atlas 618/Craftsman 6" lathes. I plan on making the QC box.

So, to reiterate, do I have any logical reason to keep the Logan lathe?

Also, once again, I'd like to send a huge thank you to Jim Dawson for referring me to this lathe in need.

In addition to having "Overkill" as my middle name, my aka could now be, "The Crazy Lathe Lady." Thanks Jim ;-)

Susan

20181128_171550-1.jpg20181128_171626-1.jpg20181130_174043.jpgScreenshot_2018-11-29-10-03-53.png20181128_172316.jpg

Looks to be in pretty good condition from what I can see. And it has all of the parts. :)

The question that I have is: Where the heck do you put all of that stuff in a single car garage? :eek:

You can never have too many tools. Obviously, your space is too small and you need to move so you have more room for tools!

Didn't work on my wife. :)

Well done by both you and Jim.
My advice, worth all that you'll pay for it, is to fix it up (looks like mostly cleaning) and run it before you decide to "downsize" anything.

Back