My G0704 CNC upgrades and conversion

More progress:). I machined and completed the gusset plates that are intended to increase column stiffness in the X direction. They will eventually be bolted down to the base by additional holes located away from the 4 center mounting bolts

Taking a skim pass to bring to final dimensions

Facing the ends to also bring to final dimensions

Measuring to confirm I can do simple math with a calculator and DRO :)

Set up to cut the same 7 degree angle on 2 different pieces

Two completed support gusset plates :eagerness:

New column in its current state.

Size comparison difference

I had to look up the G0704 to get an idea of what you are beginning with. Major improvement in strength! I have a similar mill on my combo & am glad to find you making these improvements.

I had to look up the G0704 to get an idea of what you are beginning with. Major improvement in strength! I have a similar mill on my combo & am glad to find you making these improvements.

Everyone says the column is one of the weakest stuctural links in the G0704. When doing my initial modeling to do a CNC conversion, I was surprised how thin the walls are in the casting. If I'm going to spend the time to do it, might as well over do it :encourage:

Well it has been a few months from my last post. I have been patiently saving for the servo motors. I decided to go with DMM 400W Nema 23 servo motors on the X/Y axis and a DMM 750W Nema 34 servo motor on the Z axis. These will be power by the DMM DYN2 servo drives with 60V power supplies. I have to give the DMM customer support a big thanks for helping me out. IMO....they went out of their way to satisfy this customer.

Seeing what others have done on the forum, specifically macardoso and shooter 123456, I went ahead and got an Allen Bradley 2kw/5000 rpm spindle servo motor and 2kw servo drive. I want to thank macardoso for helping me out trouble shooting the drive and his support to me. I don't have much to show for it yet, but i'm getting there slowly

Servo motors.JPG

I have been able to do machining over the last month to have completed ( almost) 2 parts that will be used on the new column. The first is the adapter plate to attach the spindle to the column. I decided to enlarge upgrade the size of bolts used to secure the spindle by going with M12 bolts vs a mix of M10s & M12. I'm using studs right now but may change to bolts down the road. I just have to drill and tap a few more holes for attachment of cable routing clips, covers to protest the ballscrew/linear guides from chips and do finish pass on the top side of the adapter plate. I'm working on using a 3D printer and thin sheetmetal to make way covers found on VMCs. I didn't leave enough space to used bellows and don't want to use rubber strips. With my design, I can get ~10" travel that compresses down to less than 3". Once I have the test parts printed, i'll share my concept with everyone.
20190617_192006.jpg20190617_192034.jpg

This is a great build thread.
Any updates to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally hear you there!
Family must always come first.
Glad that you’re still on the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back