My Happy ER 32 Ball Bearing Collet Nut Saga

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I about a year ago, after I had bought an ER 32 collet chuck and collets, I ordered a ER 32 ball bearing collet nut, from Rocky Mountain CNC, it arrived quickly, was excellent quality and worked as stated. Welp, about 3-4 weeks ago, I ordered an additional nut, so back to Rocky Mountain CNC, I order the new and improved ER 32 nut, same price. Then I wait and I wait, then after waiting a little more, I call about the order. The company President Jay Hilligrass, answers the phone and after a few minutes, he traces, the package, that for reason unknown, instead of being in Syracuse, is in Idaho, he jumps on the error and promises me he will ship out the replacement nut ASAP. So 3 days go by, and the wandering rogue ER 32 nut arrives on Monday morning. it looked like it had been repackaged twice by the USPS and finally sent to the correct address. Welp, at 2:30 this afternoon, in the mail delivery is the replacement nut, that was promised.

So at roughly 6:20 pm, I call Rocky Mountain CNC, talk again to Jay, he quickly remembered our conversation, I informed him the arrival on Monday and the arrival of the second package, today. I felt I should pay for the second nut, as it clearly was not his fault, but he would not hear of it. He again apologized for the snafu and said he was glad I got the product, even though there was a delay and said, he was glad it all worked out.

Damn, I do not know how to react, no whining, no bit&hing, no tales of business woes, just a company that want me to get what I had ordered, who knew these companies still actually existed. The nut was roughly $22 with shipping, not a huge amount, but to me it was the way they handled the issue that impressed me.

Last edited:
Those are the exact ER32 nuts I ordered from rocky mountain cnc a few hours ago. That makes me feel very confident in my purchase! Thanks!

joe

I also have a RM ER 32 nut. that i purchased over a year ago. Great simple design that works so smooth. Well worth the price. would highly recommend it !!

I just looked at the Rocky Mountain site for this nut. It doesn’t state that it is a bearing nut, is it? It also says to state sizes when ordering, 1/8, 1/4, etc ???

Call 719.246.0343 ask for Jay

Isn't it great to find a supplier who treats customers that way? We have a local motor repair shop that doesn't pride themselves in customer service, it's just how it works out. I've talked to the owner a few times and brought up the subject. He sheepishly replies with comments like, "that's how I was raised" and "I shouldn't be considered special for just doing the right thing". I've taken a couple of motors to him and don't price shop, lifetime customer here.

Bruce

They have (had) both regular nuts for $13 and bearing nuts for $20. Interesting that the bearing nut is no longer on the website store, and all of their eBay listings have been pulled. I purchased a better ER32 wrench from them last month through eBay.

Just curious if the nut you guy’s got were the bearing style. $12.95 seems cheap for that type but great if it is.

Grinder, the one i got was $22. i think. I went to their site just now and noticed that nut looks different. (no swivel) maybe just the pic. but i sent Jay a message and if he's working today im sure he'll get back to me. I'll let you know.

Back