My Hercus 9 Restoration.

wm460

Active User
Registered
Finally got a nice cool day for a change, only 41°C.
shock.gif

So I thought I would start cleaning up my Hercus 9 and try and keep the missus happy.
I saw this lathe advertise in Alice Springs ( Alice is the closest town 500 Km away) in March last year, I only wanted the stand for my Hercus 260, but when I picked it up I found out it was an Hercus ARL.
When I bought her home, I had to dismantle her to get her off the trailer and stacked the parts on an obsolete hospital bed, 6 month later I transferred to a different department at work so bought home my bench that I originally took there because it was too big for my shed.
For some reason the missus is keeps whinging about 2 lathes, a hospital bed and a bench on the back veranda, strange woman.

Messaging1520225984481.jpgMessaging1520225991098.jpgDSC_2472 (Custom).JPG

Inside the cabinet amongst the swarf, rust, cobwebs and dirt., I found these goodies.
As well as the spare parts manual with the inspection certificate inside it.

DSC_2466 (Custom).JPG

After I strip it back to bare metal, primed it with a kill rust primer, what further steps do I take before painting?

What is the best way to straighten this door?
Approx 3mm thick.

DSC_0140.JPG

Put a plywood top on the bed and it will make a great variable height work bench, most are rated at 200kg. Disconnect the head and knee bend actuators and just use height.

The Hercus 9" is a great little lathe, I had a Sheraton 9" almost identical, I had it for years before I bought the Colchester.

These two holes presumably oilers, are not threaded as I would have thought, doesnt appear that any thing has been knocked out/off.
There would have had to be something to stop swarf, dirt and crud getting tin there?
Any ideas?
InkedDSC_0154_LI.jpg

Usually press in ball oilers are used:

OILERS PIC ch.jpg

You could also use something like this:

Unknown.jpeg

After I strip it back to bare metal, primed it with a kill rust primer, what further steps do I take before painting?

What is the best way to straighten this door?
Approx 3mm thick.

View attachment 284851
Got access to oxy? That will straighten up easy with some careful use of a hammer and the correct placement of heat

Cheers Phil

You're right about the oil holes. The parts on the tailstock don't really move all that much. An occasional drop of oil now and then will keep it all in good shape. My tailstock looks a bit different, but pretty close. My AR is an early 1971.

Back