My Huge (new to me) CNC Mill

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My son picked up a new toy today, a huge CNC bed mill. Like new with only about 10 or so hours on it, but a little dusty from sitting around.

4th axis.

8 tool changer

Fanuc controls

Came well tooled with several tool holders

All wrenches

various cutters & endmills

vice

clamp kit

full documentation

Oh, and it was FREE o_O

Hasn't run in years, and did not come with a computer, but did come with the software and I have lots of computers.

1573341917742.png

1573342103314.png

Equipped with a massive 3 inch vice :cautious:

1573342179568.png

And a huge tailstock for the 4th axis
1573342212562.png

Even came with a laser center finder.
1573342276564.png

And the control panel. Almost as big as the machine.
1573342336896.png

And hiding back there is the 8 tool changer

1573342660533.png

Runs on 120V, single phase. I've always wanted a desktop mill just to play with. We run quite a bit of small plastic parts and this machine will be great for doing that. It's equipped for coolant, but I think we'll just stick to plastic. Going to be a fun little thing. :grin:

Should have it up and running in a couple of days barring any unforeseen problems. First order of business is to get the wood dust out of it, was sitting in a wood shop. But it never ran there. Then I need to build a table for it, or maybe just get a HF tool box to set it on.

More fun & games :rolleyes:

Only issue I see is the F$%^nuc control. Bitter experience has taught me, if it don't run scrap it out. Put in a new control.

Now, it may just fire right up and then run for years. it just when they start having trouble, get a spare bed room for your tech. because he'll almost move in.

just my two cents.

I am Jealous !

You have all the luck. If I had that mill I would have no use for it, (I know, once I had the machine i'd wonder how I got along without it.)

That really is a sweet toy, with attachments to dream about. Do I see helical gears to be made?

Keep us up to date with it.

Only issue I see is the F$%^nuc control. Bitter experience has taught me, if it don't run scrap it out. Put in a new control.

Now, it may just fire right up and then run for years. it just when they start having trouble, get a spare bed room for your tech. because he'll almost move in.

just my two cents.

Actually it is a EMCO Fanuc emulator teaching control, but I have two 4 axis Galil cards sitting within arms reach right now. :grin:

Should have it up and running in a couple of days barring any unforeseen problems.

Well the first unforseen problem. :faint: While the main software is on a CD, there is some kind of a install disk that is a 3 1/2 inch floppy that seems to be required. The laptop top that I am using does not have a floppy drive and none of my other operational computers do either. So I ordered a USB floppy drive, $13.99 from Amazon. We'll see of that works, supposed to be here tomorrow.

I tried to load the software on a Win7 laptop, but couldn't get the USB controller drivers to work with a 64 bit system. So I dusted off an old WinXP laptop with a broken screen and got that part working.

While I'm trying to be open minded about the original controls, I am prepared to do a controls upgrade if this does not go well. The only thing that is really stopping me from doing that right now is that I don't have a 6 axis controller in stock to run the machine. My 4 axis controllers would run the 4 axes just fine, but I need 2 more axes to run the tool changer and the spindle. I could run these with a second card, but I would lose the rigid tapping capability without being able to coordinate the motion on the spindle and Z axis. There is another way to do this, but I need to think about that a bit, and see what the machine hardware looks like.

I've used one of those in school. Old machine, but decently well built. Expect performance like a Taig or Sherline. Great piece of hardware to teach on.

Quote Can you use the DMC-1860 card? or do these not have enough I/O for your needs? There was one for $300 or so on ebay recently. Reply
best deal I see now:

offer $400, bet you get it.

Or here's an 1866

Last edited:
Can you use the DMC-1860 card? or do these not have enough I/O for your needs? There was one for $300 or so on ebay recently.

It may be possible to use either one. Not a bad price on either. I need to check the I/O requirement, but I would think the 16 would be enough. The only reason I really want a 40x0 is because then I can operate from a laptop or micro computer using an ethernet connection.

Back