My humble shop

toolroom

Registered
Registered
Be it ever so humble, here's my hobby area. Smithy CB 1220XL, which has digital readouts X&Y the Y digital is still in the box (photo3) Harbor freight Portable bandsaw, I modified for the vise, and My trusty Jet drill. Plus all the normal stuff we all need with buffers air compressor, and all the tooling needs. What we don't have we all make...right? Gotta move some stuff for space, but the area allows me to do my dinkin.Finally the boxed linear DRO mounted.

walking into my shop.jpg My Smithy...notice all the brass handles.jpg Inspection area.jpg Trusty 'ol Jet drill.jpg DRO.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a nice shop--it's a lot more organized than mine--I like the way you have your vertical band saw mounted----Dave

Thanks, Dave and Jeff,
Always wanted larger saw, but space was the issue. Saw this one at Harbor freight and... well, the wheels upstairs began turning. If I need my vise, it's a quick change. I have cut 4"x4" Aluminum on it, but I've learned to remove the side cover to allow the chips to evacuate. Even though I drilled a 1/2" hole close to the bottom, it is not large enough to accomodate the amount of debris from larger work. Fortunately, most of my work is relatively small.

Very nice shop! I have a CB 1220XL also! I have nice DRO for X & Y and another one on the Z (spindle). Get 'er done! -Dave

BTW I had scales like you have for the X Y and I screwed them up pretty darn quickly with chips, debris and cutting oil, etc...
So, I recommend that you keep them as clean as possible!! Figure out some kind of shield or cover if you can.
I'm using a scale like that for the spindle travel Z

I set the cross slide as the Y axis and the carriage as the X just because that seemed more like what I learned in algebra / calculus ...

Best regards

Dave

Thanks Dave
I'd like to see a photo of the way you have your DRO's mounted. I do need to take some photo's myself to show the mounting.

Nice neat shop! Do you hire out to organize? I could sure use some help! Thanks for sharing the view.

Here is a picture of my Smithy CB 12220 XL machine. It is well used. I have made a lot of different things with this machine. I know it is not the best machine in the world, but I don't let that stop me. In fact, I really like it.

CB1220xl1.JPG

I have an Anilam Wizard 411 that I bought off eBay from a guy who took it off an Enco 20" milling machine without ever using it.
This is a picture of the scale (or encoder) I mounted on the back of the machine for the travel of the carriage, I have that set as the Y axis. It is nicely out of the way of everything and I forget it is there.

CB1220xl2.JPG

Below is a picture of the cross slide encoder. I also made some standoffs so I can remove this encoder, install the follow rest, then re-install the encoder. (Not that I do that very often.)

CB1220xl3.JPG

Here is a picture of the Z axis scale. The increments on the dial of the spindle are .042", basically worthless. This thing is a godsend, it is right on!

CB1220xl4.JPG

When I first started using this machine, I quickly realized that the dials on the hand wheels are pretty much useless. Then I used a travel dial indicator, but that is a pain to setup, etc. Then I got some long scales like I have for the Z axis and mounted them on the cross slide and carriage where I could read them. But they quickly were ruined by chips and cutting oil and whatever. I start making something and cleanliness is not my strong suit!
The Anilam is like cheating. It is amazing. I am still amazed at how accurate and repeatable and powerful it is. Every once in a while I still discover something it can help me do.
Hope you enjoy the photos!

CB1220xl1.JPG CB1220xl2.JPG CB1220xl3.JPG CB1220xl4.JPG

Dave,
Nice photo's. My DRO system is a bit more archaic than yours. I mounted my "scale" in front so I could keep an eye on it, same as the side scale. I do however need to install a scale on the Z axis as well, and may do that this summer.
If you'll notice in my photo's, all my handles are machined in Brass. It was the first project I consumed to "test" out my new Smithy, way back in "96.
Your XL looks like it has some (machine) time behind it. I've had some issues with mine on the table repeatability and had to make new Gib screws, as the originals kept loosening up every time I used the machine. Also, the Saddle lead screw was so loose, I pressed a hardened bushing into the carriage and that seemes to hold for the present, although, I may never Knurl with it, as the pressure would be to great.
hardtimes... aka JC

Back