My Hydraulic Feed

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
I removed the spring and installed a hydraulic feed on my HF 4x6 horizontal band saw. Below is a drawing of what I did.
I used 80wt gear oil in the cylinder and bled as much air out as I could with the tubing installed on the cylinder. I used 1/4" od clear tubing. The feed works great so thought I would post this for those wishing to convert.

Saw feed.jpg

Very cool Bill. Got any pics of it installed?

It sounds like you used a hydraulic cylinder, Bill. A great option is using air cylinders. The orings in them are compatible with most fluids and they are a lot cheaper unless you find a deal or have one laying around, and quite available in just about any size you can imagine. Pressure is not a worry on a saw gravity down feed, and the air cylinders can take a couple hundred PSI anyway. They also have less friction of seals to bore than hydraulic cylinders do. ATF is a good fluid to use with them, and plastic tubing.

Closed system? How do you deal with the changing fluid level requirement as the rod extends and retracts?

Yes, pics please!

Last edited:
Bob...I used an air cylinder. A Bimba I bought on ebay for $8. The entire conversion cost me less than $20

I filled the system completely. when the fluid is pushed from the front it goes into the back and vise versa. Been working fine for a year now.

Nice! Only issue is now you moved that project closer to the top of the page for me. :eagerness:

Nice conversion Bill. I'll have to look into it for my bandsaw.

Where did you source your one way control valve?

Thanks,

Chris

Back