My I3 MK3 has been running non-stop (almost)

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been printing out all the component parts for a set (5 in total) of automatic rewind spool holders, for use with the Multi Material 2.0 unit I have. I found them on thingiverse, and they're really quite ingenious.

That's the first one fully assembled. I'm down to printing the actual stand parts now, and they're taking around 11 hours each... Here's number two currently printing:

All the other components are ready to go though

The large coil spring has a completely circular outer edge, and is contained within a clutch housing on the side (the large part with RW printed as the spokes). The clutch is adjustable to give more or less friction on the spring, so as the filament comes off the spool, it start to tension the spring - but once you get to a certain tension, the clutch slips so the spring doesn't break. Once tension is taken off the filament (i.e. when the MMU backs the filament out as it swaps to another roll) the spot then rotates in the opposite direction and the filament is wound back on as it's fed back out.

That's Awesome. Having access to a 3d printer completely changes the game. Could you imagine if a mind like Leonardo Davinci had this technology!

Back