My Latest Project 101.07301

bama7

Registered
Registered
I got the lathe Wednesday afternoon in Gainesville. Much of it was already disassembled, good or bad not sure yet. I broke it down the rest of the way and cleaned it fairly good. Next will be inspection and deciding make it complete or a parts donor. May even keep the paint as is.

Attachments

• 20190411_092404.jpg
    20190411_092404.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190411_092340.jpg
    20190411_092340.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190411_092329.jpg
    20190411_092329.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00808.JPG
    DSC00808.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00809.JPG
    DSC00809.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00807.JPG
    DSC00807.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 75
The first three pictures are just the way I got it.

Would that be Gainesville, FL or Gainesville, GA? I take it that it was missing a motor?

Gainesville, Florida, the motor was just kind of hanging off the bracket so I took it off. I didn’t want to put to much stress on the bracket during transport.

OK. Thanks.

The way they've set the jack shaft mount looks interesting. I assume the motor hung below that???
No tooling to speak of, but the main bones look present and accounted for. Is there a tool holder? They came with the traditional rocker/lantern style, but an OXA sized quick change tool post will also fit. It's nice to have, but not necessary. If you hope to do much threading, you might want to get the rest of the change gears for the lathe.
Nice stand too.
The spindle thread is 1" x 8tpi. right now, i think the absolute best deal on a chuck is with Taig tools. They have 3-1/4" scroll chucks (both 3 and 4 jaw) for this lathe on clearance for $20 each. It's a good size for this machine. They produced a custom run of these and got stuck with them - hense the fire sale price. I didn't need any chucks, but could not pass this deal up and got one of each. They are US made, steel chucks. Very good quality with replaceable aluminum soft jaws. More than worth the money, and it'll get you up and running quite cheaply.
If the headstock bushings need replacing, they're not expensive and easy to swap out. One of the pair (i think it's the chuck side of the spindle) is a length that 's not standard and is difficult to find (also a bit pricey). The same i.d. / o.d. bushing is readily available as a standard size a bit longer than you need. Get one of those and trim it down. The length is not a critical dimension here, so a careful cut with a hacksaw will do if you don't have another lathe to trim it exactly.
Other than that, barring missing/broken pieces or a badly worn bed, it looks like you'd be up and running quickly with little expense.
I have one of those lathes and like it quite a bit. It's a solid performer for a small lathe.
Have fun with it.

Just for clarification doesn't this lathe have the timken bearings for the spinde? And perhaps 1" x 10 spindle thread?

David

David,

No. You are thinking of the Atlas 618 and the 1957 and later Craftsman 101.21400.

The 101.07301 has sleeve (sintered bronze bushing) spindle bearings and 1"-8 spindle thread.

Other than that and the Countershaft assembly, almost everything else on the machine is the same as on the 618. The countershaft assembly that was always supplied with the 07301 was actually the same as the one on the 618 at the time that the 07301 first appeared. About a year later, Atlas changed the one on the 618 to the one that looks like a scaled down 10F horizontal countershaft. Either one works fine on the 07301 but the later one is more plentiful IF you have to find one. If the machine came with the original one, there is no particular advantage in changing it.

FWIW, you can't just change the bearings and spindle to the Timken type because the sleeve bearing spindle is a little longer and the headstock casting is different. Everything else in the headstock is the same on both types, except for the ball thrust bearing which the Timken models do not have.

Thank you Robert now I am clarified :).

David

Back