My Lathe Wont Start

BarnacleBill

Registered
Registered
I have a HF 14inch mini lathe, I used it yesterday and it was fine, today it would not run when I turned it on.

I checked the fuse and the wires from the plug and there is continuity from the plug to the switch, I bypassed the switch and it still wont run.

I don't know what to check next.

Bill, is this a 120 volt AC motor? Try wiring the motor direct. The cap or motor may have taken a dump. Al.

The motor may be stopped between sectors on the armature. Maybe try a half turn on the motor by hand, then power it back up? Also see if there is a pushbutton breaker on the motor. These things are moot on expensive kit, but China savings brings China quirks.

Does it have an emergency stop switch? Might need a reset.

Bill, I would double check all electrical connections. Check for hot spots, burnt wiring / connections. Al.

Another member mentioned there is a large coil (power line inductor)on the board which can become unsoldered
mark
Here is a repair service for those boards: www.olduhfguy.com

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I had a similar problem on my mill, one minute it was working fine then it just stopped, display went out. It was just as if you switched off the power.
I banged the control unit and it came back to life. It ran for a day or so and then just wouldn't turn on. Banging the control unit didn't work this time, so I took it apart.

12-07-2017-002.JPG12-07-2017-001.JPG
The wire was just pushed into the hole on the pcb. It was surrounded by solder underneath but obviously not actually connected.
A dab of flux and tinning it properly allowed it to be pushed back into the hole and soldered securely.
12-07-2017-003.JPG
On testing the display no longer worked ! A little careful observation showed that the voltage regulator had taken a hit from the arc when I banged the control unit case. A 10 cent replacement cured that one.

I did find quite a number of bad soldered joints on the circuit board, which all got a seeing to.

Back