My little 400 all cleaned up...

Bellwether

Active User
Registered
I picked up a little 400 a few weeks ago and was off this week so I decided to tackle cleaning it up. It was all pretty straight forward, no snags or anything and all I had to replace was one bearing that had a hole in the shield. I still need to clean up the motor and mount and then learn how to use it! Here are a few pictures...

548.JPG 549.JPG DSC_0819.JPG DSC_0818.JPG DSC_0814.JPG

Nice job! She cleaned up real nice.

I'm not that familiar with the 9" Logans but I assume that the bearing you replaced was a spindle bearing? Was the bearing bad? Sometimes a small hole is put in the shield just to add grease to an old, good bearing. Just curious.

Steve

Nice job on the cleanup and paint, It should do a good job for you.

Paul

Stunning. How did you get that headstock label to clean back up? Also, I loved the generous use of the red as well, really made it pop!

Nice job! She cleaned up real nice.

I'm not that familiar with the 9" Logans but I assume that the bearing you replaced was a spindle bearing? Was the bearing bad? Sometimes a small hole is put in the shield just to add grease to an old, good bearing. Just curious.

Steve
Thanks for all of the kind comments, fellas!

Yes, it was a spindle bearing. The hole in the shield may have been there for that purpose, but the bearing was trashed. It was dry, loose, and had lots of grit in it, it really did need to be replaced.
Stunning. How did you get that headstock label to clean back up? Also, I loved the generous use of the red as well, really made it pop!

Thank you! the badge was actually pretty easy to clean since whomever painted it that silver color painted over all of the grease and oil. I just hit it with a scotch-brite pad to get most of the paint off and then used a toothpick to dig the paint out of the nooks and crannies.

Back