My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Something else that I want for this lathe is one of those cool looking 3C/3AT collet drawbars with the wooden handwheel...

Researching what would fit... Asked a fellow forum member for the dimensions of the one that came with his lathe... to see if I can find something on eBay. I need the dimensions to avoid buying something that ends up not working because it is too short...

Logan Drawbar.jpeg

This is what I know so far:

1. The headstock bore in my lathe accommodates 3/4" stock
2. Headstock length from border to border, where threads end, is 12-3/4" long
3. Headstock has MT3, so the adapter needs to be 3C to MT3
4. 1-1/2" x 8 TPI. I ordered a spindle thread protector from ebay...

Spindle thread proctector.jpeg

I have not done any threading... I do not have the skills at this time to do so. So making threads on a piece of stock, is not an option at the moment.

Since last night I was able to research the following...

1. If I was to make one, LittleMachineShop has one already threaded in 18" long. I would just have to cut to length. Comes with 3C collet closer for 3MT spindle lathes. Cutting to length, that I can do... Link: Universal Collect Closer . But it does not have the cool looking wooden handwheel... would have to make one and adapt it.. They also have 3C collets... so I could get it all from them.

2. There are a few on eBay, but without the correct length, I risk getting one that would not work (too short).

Last edited:
I have not done any threading... I do not have the skills at this time to do so.
Yes, you do have the skills to do so. Just try it.

/startcheerleading
It is not as hard as you are making it (in your mind) to be. Chuck up a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and try it. If you eff up on the pvc, you have lost pennies. And try again, and again. Won't take long to figure it out. Once you get it on pvc, try it on aluminum. Then the world is your oyster. Seriously, it's not difficult. Make sure your tool height is correct, and your compound angle is ok. Many issues with threading are related to those two issues. You have already done much harder stuff as evidenced by your own posts.
/endcheerleading

Having collets is a nice option; better centering when removing/re-chucking on the lathe, and less marring on soft materials. I attached a thread where I did some adapting to install a 5-C closer on my Grizzly lathe. I had to cut the draw tube to length and recut the internal threads for the collet.

Cutting threads can be a bit over-whelming when you haven't done it before. But, I'd recommend jumping in and adding it to your skill-set. Start with external threading on some PVC tubing or similar. Once you get a few reps under your belt it'll go like second nature.

Bruce

Last edited:
You definitely can to single point threading. I say this, because if I can d on it, anyone can :)

Others have mentioned PVC, I practiced on brass (because I had some and it’s a soft metal). I just figured out the thread I needed, tried it out, if it didn’t work, turned down the failed threads and then started again. Eventually when I figured it out on the brass (proper gears Installed, correct depth etc etc) I did the thread on the real part.

Abom79 on YouTube has some great videos on this. I’d recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you do have the skills to do so. Just try it.

/startcheerleading
It is not as hard as you are making it (in your mind) to be. Chuck up a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and try it. If you eff up on the pvc, you have lost pennies. And try again, and again. Won't take long to figure it out. Once you get it on pvc, try it on aluminum. Then the world is your oyster. Seriously, it's not difficult. Make sure your tool height is correct, and your compound angle is ok. Many issues with threading are related to those two issues. You have already done much harder stuff as evidenced by your own posts.
/endcheerleading
Having collets is a nice option; better centering when removing/re-chucking on the lathe, and less marring on soft materials. I attached a thread where I did some adapting to install a 5-C closer on my Grizzly lathe. I had to cut the draw tube to length and recut the internal threads for the collet.

Cutting threads can be a bit over-whelming when you haven't done it before. But, I'd recommend jumping in and adding it to your skill-set. Start with external threading on some PVC tubing or similar. Once you get a few reps under your belt it'll go like second nature.

Bruce

You definitely can to single point threading. I say this, because if I can d on it, anyone can :)

Others have mentioned PVC, I practiced on brass (because I had some and it’s a soft metal). I just figured out the thread I needed, tried it out, if it didn’t work, turned down the failed threads and then started again. Eventually when I figured it out on the brass (proper gears Installed, correct depth etc etc) I did the thread on the real part.

Abom79 on YouTube has some great videos on this. I’d recommend them.

Guys, I truly appreciate your words of encouragement. I will get there... but I will not start with this project. I would really prefer to find one made...

I have overcome the fear of using a boring bar, making radius cuts, etc. I turned down the backplate for my 4-jaw chuck for the 9"x20" (but it was already threaded! ), made a new handle for that lathe as well. That floating locking vise project got me to push out the fear of a few things I wanted to learn... But threading is still not something I want to tackle right at this moment... I will soon. I got the PVC pipes in different diameters, got all the tools I need to do the threading... so soon I will give it a try. But I really do not want to try it with this...

I was looking at an Atlas drawbar that is in Ebay... but after the seller sent me dimensions, it is too short... the length from the border to the where the taper starts is 9-1/2"

Atlas Drawbar.jpeg

IMG_7250.jpeg

IMG_7251.jpeg

If I can't find another drawbar with the wooden handwheel, I will just order the one from LittleMachineShop Universal Collect Closer and cut to length... and see about making my own wooden handwheel...

Guys, I truly appreciate your words of encouragement. I will get there... but I will not start with this project. I would really prefer to find one made...

I have overcome the fear of using a boring bar, making radius cuts, etc. I turned down the backplate for my 4-jaw chuck for the 9"x20" (but it was already threaded! ), made a new handle for that lathe as well. That floating locking vise project got me to push out the fear of a few things I wanted to learn... But threading is still not something I want to tackle right at this moment... I will soon. I got the PVC pipes in different diameters, got all the tools I need to do the threading... so soon I will give it a try. But I really do not want to try it with this...

I was looking at an Atlas drawbar that is in Ebay... but after the seller sent me dimensions, it is too short... the length from the border to the where the taper starts is 9-1/2"

View attachment 415978

View attachment 415984

View attachment 415985

If I can't find another drawbar with the wooden handwheel, I will just order the one from LittleMachineShop Universal Collect Closer and cut to length... and see about making my own wooden handwheel...

Totally get it. There’s no rush.

I got a draw bar and collets with my lathe, but no collet closer, so I think I’ll have to make one. I’ll keep an eye out for photos (hint hint ;) ) of what yours looks like so I can copy it.

I gave up looking for one... plus the asking prices, for the used drawbars I found, were ridiculous... I ordered the one from Little Machine Shop with a 3C collet set...

Placing this video here for future reference:

Last edited:
Some more progress…

Motor pulley painted

710074EB-AF85-48B6-8C6E-44A3C78623AA.jpeg

The shaft on the drive pulley was in pretty bad shape… I ordered a new 3/4”x12” shaft from McMaster

22356C7E-A5BF-4E70-8D7B-AD9ACBAA4A3F.jpeg

AD4FF0B4-AC86-4ECF-858B-9DDD8A7130BB.jpeg

Took it all apart, cleaned and painted…

Removing the shaft was a PITA… I will have to eat my word with the little 1-Ton arbor press… sucker has been extremely useful… I did have to cut the shaft as close as I could… besides the grooves it was also slightly bent…

That in the photo is just a 3/4” round stock I have… not good to use for a shaft…

A676C1FA-1749-4371-88CA-E4DD12DFCEC5.jpeg

New shaft should be here Thursday so I can put it all back together next week…

Last edited:
3. Headstock has MT3, so the adapter needs to be 3C to MT3

1. If I was to make one, LittleMachineShop has one already threaded in 18" long. I would just have to cut to length. Comes with 3C collet closer for 3MT spindle lathes. Cutting to length, that I can do... Link: Universal Collect Closer . But it does not have the cool looking wooden handwheel... would have to make one and adapt it.. They also have 3C collets... so I could get it all from them.

Before you buy anything verify that your spindle is actually a true MT3. My lathe is an 11" with a 1" bore and has what I thought was an MT4, but it is an odd ball, close but not quite an MT4. This may not be an issue on real Logans as mine is from the Powermatic / Logan era.

As far as the wooden handle, if only you had a classic Delta wood lathe to turn that on... :grin:

Back