My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Spring latch broke on me... and for the life of me, I can't find where I placed the broken pieces...

Was able to find a photo of someone else that did the same... so making one.

Photo of what someone did... not original... but close to what the original looks like...

Latch.jpeg

Started to bend the material... but I should wait until I have the door painted and mounted before I make the next bend...

Making latch.jpeg

The shame, the shame, the shame... but I will share it anyway... So I secure this stock in the vise... I get the largest cutter I have, 3/4" 4-flute end mill... I am saying in my mind... I have a Wells-Index... this puppy is going to eat this like there is no mañana... So I go for a single cut of all the material that needs to be removed... And to top it off, I start cutting in the wrong direction... yeah, climb milling instead of conventional... So the end mill digs into the side of the part and the machine stops... I hit the E-Stop.... and I am just going "you stupid F****!!!" You had to try to do this in one pass instead of several cuts, and on top of that, you forget the proper direction to cut it from" Arrggggghhhh.... :face slap:

But wait... it gets better... You would think that I would have checked to see if the vise moved with all this... But nooooooo... Instead I removed the 4-flute end mill, well, because in the process I broke one of the flutes... Install a new one and continue the work...

A complete mess... I figure all this is wrong when I remove the part and test fit it to the compound... goodness...

So I swallow my pride, after finding it, and proceed to fix the vise....

IMG_7285.jpeg

Then to square the cuts on the top...

IMG_7287.jpeg

And mill the length to correct dimension..

IMG_7288.jpeg

Now, I do not have any more material here... all that is back in Orlando... so I just continue to try to at least square the cuts made... All goes well from this point on but the top of the T-Nut ends up smaller than in needs to be... duh!

IMG_7291.jpeg

So now I am thinking... do I leave it as is? Do I redo the part? Not sure what to do... It was going so well until I got greedy trying to remove material... what a dumba***.... :bang head:

IMG_7296.jpeg

Looks pretty tight in the slide....
Yes, perfect fit there...

So this gap should not be an issue?

screwup.jpg

I will need to drill, tap, counterbore for two 1/4" - 20 bolts to secure it to the compound.... then drill a hole in the center and tap for a bolt for the PWT Multifix toolpost...

Basically what Abom79 did...

Yes, perfect fit there...

So this gap should not be an issue?

View attachment 416263

I will need to drill, tap, counterbore for two 1/4" - 20 bolts to secure it to the compound.... then drill a hole in the center and tap for a bolt for the PWT Multifix toolpost...

Basically what Abom79 did...

Regarding the gap, it seems like if nothing else it will become a trap for chips. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the fit at the top of the T slot was more critical than the bottom. It's probably not that big a deal, but it would bug me.

Regarding the gap, it seems like if nothing else it will become a trap for chips. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the fit at the top of the T slot was more critical than the bottom. It's probably not that big a deal, but it would bug me.
It is bugging me as well… I will cut another piece and start again…

What is the correct grade of steel for this?
I do not know… I am using 1018 CR…. Someone that knows can chime in…

Back