My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Nice!!!
one more post with side by side before and after pics?

Like this?

IMG_7647.jpeg

The part that I am so grateful for is that everything was working fine and tight... All that I did was mostly cosmetic... Cleaning and paint...

IMG_7648.jpeg

Oh, and I ended moving the switch to its stock location...

IMG_7644.jpeg

IMG_7646.jpeg

IMG_7645.jpeg

Only things replaced or added:

New Ways Felts
New Half Nuts
Purchased missing Follow Rest and Clutch Knob
PWT Tool Post
New Live Center
New 3C Collect Setup
New ER32 Setup
Added a Vintage Lamp
Removed all outlet boxes installed by prior owners. Pretty sure I will be adding one of those back...

That machine looks too pretty to use. It should be in a museum somewhere.

I will add a Museum sign to my garage... How is that? hahahahahaha... It will get used. I want this one to be my primary lathe and just use the G0709 for anything this cannot tackle... There is a great and unmeasurable feeling that I get from using vintage tools... I really like it.

Like this?

View attachment 418145

The part that I am so grateful for is that everything was working fine and tight... All that I did was mostly cosmetic... Cleaning and paint...

View attachment 418146

Oh, and I ended moving the switch to its stock location...

View attachment 418147

View attachment 418148

View attachment 418149

Only things replaced or added:

New Ways Felts
New Half Nuts
Purchased missing Follow Rest and Clutch Knob
PWT Tool Post
New Live Center
New 3C Collect Setup
New ER32 Setup
Added a Vintage Lamp
Removed all outlet boxes installed by prior owners. Pretty sure I will be adding one of those back...

I will add a Museum sign to my garage... How is that? hahahahahaha... It will get used. I want this one to be my primary lathe and just use the G0709 for anything this cannot tackle... There is a great and unmeasurable feeling that I get from using vintage tools... I really like it.

Amazing transformation. Well done. I’m looking forward to seeing some posts of it in action!

Are you planning on a DRO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing transformation. Well done. I’m looking forward to seeing some posts of it in action!

Are you planning on a DRO?

Thank you for the kind words. I will be installing a DRO on the G0709 first... not sure if I will do the same with this one...

Still no action photos... I thought I was done but found out that the previous owners, seeing the zerk fittings, used grease instead of way oil...

IMG_7655.jpeg

Since I wanted to replace the half-nut, everything needed to come out again. So took out the zerk fittings, cleaned all the grease. Replaced the half-nut... installed new zerk fittings.

IMG_7649.jpeg
IMG_7650.jpeg

Half-nut assembly out...

IMG_7656.jpeg

IMG_7657.jpeg
IMG_7659.jpeg

Comparing new versus the ones I am replacing...

IMG_7661.jpeg

IMG_7664.jpeg

IMG_7665.jpeg

New ones installed and ready to drop in place...

IMG_7666.jpeg
IMG_7667.jpeg

Pins were in excellent shape.
IMG_7668.jpeg

Now installed in place...

IMG_7669.jpeg
IMG_7672.jpeg

Ordered this to push way oil in there... Push N Lube Pump for Zerk - for now I just oiled the ways and inserted oil in the holes before installing the fittings.

Push N Lube Pump for Zerk.jpg

New zerk fittings in place...

IMG_7673.jpeg

Logan lathes came with a flat pulley on top and a v on the bottom.

I have heard that placing a piece of old style black electrical tape completely around the flat belt pulley makes it less likely to slip. Gives it more traction?
In my experience, the flat belt from the countershaft to the spindle slips before the V-belt does.

Finishing a few small tasks... but I think that I will be needing a four-jaws chuck...

Painted, to match, the back of the faceplate... it had been painted gray...

IMG_7689.jpeg

I took apart the 4-jaws chuck. Cleaned it... removed the paint applied by previous owners... and painted the back to match.

IMG_7685.jpeg

IMG_7688.jpeg

When I started to assemble I noticed this:

IMG_7681.jpeg

The threads for the jaws bolts are in bad shape...

IMG_7682.jpeg

Some of the tools that came with the lathe... need to clean them up...

View attachment 418400

This one I have no idea what it is for????

View attachment 418397
View attachment 418398
View attachment 418399
Kinda looks like:

I also seem to recall reading somewhere female centers were used for holding things that have a point or things that can’t have a centering hole drilled in them (like a motor armature, etc).

Last edited:
Kinda looks like:

I also seem to recall reading somewhere female centers were used for holding things that have a point or things that can’t have a centering hole drilled in them (like a motor armature, etc).
Thank you. Looks like I found something I did not know that I needed. The one in the link is more than I want to spend, but I see less expensive alternatives. Cool!

Back