My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Take a look at this: http://www.mkctools.com/tachulator.htm I had this from a ShopSmith project, and put it on the Logan when I had the VFD mounted. The sfm is nice.
View attachment 419807

There is also an open source tacho, formally commercial. IIRC, it's posted to thingverse. Electronics are not my thing so I haven't pursued it. I can dig it up if anyone is interested.

Ron
I have that link… first I will see if there is something already available that will just plug into the Arduino that I am using for the scales.

To machine the register on that chuck (if you really want to go there), if you have a piece of hard rod an inch or more in diameter, you could mount it in your 4 jaw chuck with about 2 or 2-1/2” extending out. Mount the three jaw to the rod (register surface facing the tailstock) and adjust the 4 jaw chuck (and possible using some light brass mallet taps) indicating against the register surface until it reads flat. Then you could face off the register surface, reducing its overall length. I would go easy with fairly light passes, even though it is cast iron.

Or you could just use it as-is.

To machine the register on that chuck (if you really want to go there), if you have a piece of hard rod an inch or more in diameter, you could mount it in your 4 jaw chuck with about 2 or 2-1/2” extending out. Mount the three jaw to the rod (register surface facing the tailstock) and adjust the 4 jaw chuck (and possible using some light brass mallet taps) indicating against the register surface until it reads flat. Then you could face off the register surface, reducing its overall length. I would go easy with fairly light passes, even though it is cast iron.

Or you could just use it as-is.

I will give that a try.

I just want to get this massive chuck closer to the spindle. Not comfortable with it sticking out so much. So every little bit helps and I can get it, I think, a 1/4" closer by machining that side...

I will give that a try.

I just want to get this massive chuck closer to the spindle. Not comfortable with it sticking out so much. So every little bit helps and I can get it, I think, a 1/4" closer by machining that side...
I've seen a research paper on chatter claiming distance from the headstock was immaterial. Friend Winky on YouTube reduced his significantly by reducing the chuck overhang. Pick your source.

Ron

I am still trying to find a Hall effect sensor to connect to the TouchDRO…. I might just take the easy path and use the same one I used for the 9x20 with its own display…. I would love to use this type of sensor as it seems to be better protected from the elements…
Just remembered. I replaced a eBike motor Hall sensor with one from Amazon. The actual sensor is small, would easily fit in a shop made holder.
This is the sensor from the MK Tools kit, I didn't do anything to protect it. Never had a problem.

tach sensor.jpg

I will give that a try.

it‘s what I did to the backplate I recently installed on a 6” chuck for my Logan. It turned out just fine. After shortening the stub (for the same reasons you mentioned) I mounted the back plate on the spindle and took a light cut across its face to ensure the register surface and mounting surface were co planer

Backplate almost done… I just need to drill and tap the three missing holes…

12433F15-46F1-46C4-8C70-20523CE0CD56.jpeg

I need a longer cable for the tablet… I want to be able to place the tablet on the belt cover... cable ordered.

90673E92-61FD-4B9F-BE62-78938F531A95.jpeg

0CCB0EE9-713A-401F-A2BF-64CFFFC1D49A.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! Looks like it belongs there :)
Yes! Looks like the perfect size for this lathe. Thanks again.

I need to get used to the DRO... but even more than that, to learn and think about what I read from the dials or the DRO and what that means in terms of the amount of cutting that I am doing.

I only needed to remove a very small amount for the chuck to fit the backplate. So I was taking very small cuts... it did not click for me why I was taking a 0.020 inch cut and seeing a decrease of 0.040 inch... Silly, even stupid of me... geez... Think Jaime! Think!! You are cutting a circle... not a flat surface! Oh well, I did hit the mark thanks to making small cuts and measuring after every cut... Only after finishing that it clicked on me what I was seeing... yeah, I am a slow learner...

Some DROs have a radius vs diameter function, where you can change it to read the change in diameter of the part. I just do the math in my head

Back