My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Jaime, How are you holding up in the hurricane, is it affecting where you are?

Jaime, How are you holding up in the hurricane, is it affecting where you are?
Steve, thank you for asking. We were fortunate that in Orlando there was very little damage. In our case, we never lost power and no damage in this area. All is well. But lots of flash flooding going around... we will stay put for the next few days until all settles down.

The other side of the storm will be impacting us all day, but now it is just a tropical storm. Still, lots of water coming down and still some strong winds that it is impacting workers that are helping with restoring power to those impacted.

Can't say the same for Naples, Fort Myers, Sanable, etc... that south-west part of Florida really suffered... very sad situation there...

Last edited:
Second backplate arrived. Machined, mounted, and zeroed in…

40A9175A-3523-4BE6-8792-730FAABDC887.jpeg

And yes, this chuck came with a backplate… There was no need for this… I just wanted both to look the same…

Also ordered 12 - 1/4”-20 bolts to replace those in there… these are the ones that secure the chuck to the backplate…

Seeing different colored bolt heads was messing with me :D :D Kind of silly, because the workbench is a mess but that does not bother me, lol…

1F1D7BF0-AD5E-4B96-A7CD-DEE4F3D9AE45.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good Jamie! Glad to hear the weather passed you by. I worked in Defense Support of Civil Authority '02 -'05. Weather events are often devastating and life changing.

A pending task is rewiring the switch so that reverse works... but I keep asking myself, and now to all of you, should I do that??

This is a screw-in chuck setup... no way to lock it in place. Will I ever need the chuck to go in reverse and risk unscrewing itself? Should I just leave it as it is now.

Specially knowing that I have the G0709 lathe with the D1-5 system...

A pending task is rewiring the switch so that reverse works... but I keep asking myself, and now to all of you, should I do that??

This is a screw-in chuck setup... no way to lock it in place. Will I ever need the chuck to go in reverse and risk unscrewing itself? Should I just leave it as it is now.

Specially knowing that I have the G0709 lathe with the D1-5 system...
Does your chuck have any clamps to the spindle? My G0752Z has clamps from the back plate that grab a groove ring in the spindle. I can and have turned threads in reverse. I made the back plate of my ER-40 chuck that way. ( Inside threads made in reverse.) If there are clamps you should be mostly protected. With no clamps you are probably ok. Depends on how tightly the back plate locks up. When I have removed the back plate it has always been a bit tough to get it to start to unscrew. Never had the clamps actually be needed, but perhaps that's just luck.

Does your chuck have any clamps to the spindle? My G0752Z has clamps from the back plate that grab a groove ring in the spindle. I can and have turned threads in reverse. I made the back plate of my ER-40 chuck that way. ( Inside threads made in reverse.) If there are clamps you should be mostly protected. With no clamps you are probably ok. Depends on how tightly the back plate locks up. When I have removed the back plate it has always been a bit tough to get it to start to unscrew. Never had the clamps actually be needed, but perhaps that's just luck.

My 9"x20" has that clamp... but this Logan does not. That is why I am reluctant to correct the switch to enable Reverse...

IMG_2458.jpeg

My 9"x20" has that clamp... but this Logan does not. That is why I am reluctant to correct the switch to enable Reverse...

View attachment 422182
Biggest question is about the lockup of the back plate to the spindle. If it locks up tight, you are probably good. If you can loosen the seated back plate and spin it off by hand, then yeah, I wouldn't run it in reverse very often. My back plates lock up tight to the spindle. They are tough to remove. In a pinch I'd forgo the clamps. A "loose lock up", no way I'd do that. If your back plates don't lock up, they are usable, but they really should lock up so they register correctly to spindle. At least that's my understanding.

Back