My Logan Restoration - Half Nut/Lead Screw interface issue

Logan Novice

Registered
Registered
I'm restoring my vintage circa 1942 Logan 10 inch lathe (Monkey Wards). I completely disassembled it, cleaned up the rust and gunk and it's back together; functions perfectly and and runs very true. However, I have found that, when the half nut is engaged, it grabs the lead screw and pulls it slightly outward toward the interior face of the apron. The lead screw flexes slightly under the load but that's all. When the half nut releases from the lead screw everything returns to normal. In installed a temporary spacer under the half nut assembly which eliminated the previously described symptoms but the half nut control lever is now difficult to move in and out of register.
Anyone have any ideas ??????????????

You could remove the lever assembly and fine tune the length of the part that makes contact with the half nut, or cut the contact area of the half nut itself. Mike

You could also shim the change box and outer bearing outwards and avoid messing with the half nut.

Many of the MW versions did not originally have a qc gearbox or an auto apron (clutch). But, countless owners added one or both later. Yours may be one that the PO did not fully account for the slight difference in alignment between the two versions. Just a guess on my part. A picture of the apron and qc gearbox would be helpful.

If you have the plain apron and no qc gearbox, then ignore the above.

Thanks to one and all. The apron itself is attached to the saddle in such a way as to eliminate the possibility of adjusting it closer to or further away from the lathe bed assembly so only place where parts might be successfully shimmed is directly behind any affected piece of the assembly. If I shim the miter gear assembly along with the half nut to run closer to the lead screw the issue is essentially solved. Only task then is to ensure that the half nut cam assembly moves the same distance. Some of the parts on this lathe are incredibly difficult to remove; one of these being the half nut cam shaft lever. So it will take some time to work carefully with those parts to avoid damaging them. Nevertheless, I do believe that your recommendations for shimming where necessary makes the most sense. Thanks again .... great group here.:encourage:

Back