My Metalshop/drafting projects - "Make Your Own Tools"

@frankly2 I can post a photo or 2 as well (as soon as our deep freeze warms up a bit).
Must have thrown them out during last cleaning, sorry for leaping too soon. My shop is small (15’ X 9’) and as I am such a pack-rat, clear areas are a premium and that forces me to regularly clear out things that only get used occasionally.
I have been using AutoCad for many years so have not needed drafting equipment for a long time. I suppose thats why I threw them out ! Sorry for speaking too soon !

Hi everyone! I just started machining classes at Laney College located in Oakland, CA. I absolutely love it as I'm coming from an artist's background growing up with a deep appreciation for Japanese craftsmanship. I realized very quickly that technical drawings are a form of art and I'm attempting to teach myself with a Mutoh drafting machine and "Technical Drawing, Eighth edition" by Giesecke, Mitchell, Spencer, Hill, and Dygdon, 1986, Macmillan Publishing Company. I think I've got all the drafting instruments—some solid K&E and Dietzgen sets. I need help with answers for problems found in the textbook. I don't think answers were ever published for these textbooks?? I have the workbooks as well. I was wondering if it would be okay to ask here for some help as I work through the book?
Also, I hope this is the appropriate thread to be posting in.

Attachments

• MutohDraftingMachine.jpg
    MutohDraftingMachine.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately, I can't help you but I'm sure there are plenty of folks who will can.

Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately, I can't help you but I'm sure there are plenty of folks who will can.
Thank you for the swifty and warm welcome!

Maybe it would help if I posted my first question.

The first one is in the picture fig. 4.68. It is in METRIC. In what sequence of setting off measurements do I locate the center of R34?

Here is my sequence:
  1. draw center line
  2. set off two lines 16mm from each side of centerline
  3. with compass use the 16mm as a radius. close end of handle
  4. from end of handle to center point of R22 and R50. strike both arcs
  5. at 15 degrees from centerline and with centerpoint being R22 and R50 pulled 2 parallel lines 43mm from center. These are the outermost (apex) points of the 15 degree tilted ellipse. I also draw parallel lines 19mm from center.
  6. Here is where I'm unsure how the center point for the arc with R34 is located. And how does the curvature from R50 and R34 resolve? Do I use an irregular curve to connect these two radii?
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• DrawingQuestion001.jpg
    DrawingQuestion001.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Thank you for the swifty and warm welcome!

Maybe it would help if I posted my first question.

The first one is in the picture fig. 4.68. It is in METRIC. In what sequence of setting off measurements do I locate the center of R34?

Here is my sequence:
  1. draw center line
  2. set off two lines 16mm from each side of centerline
  3. with compass use the 16mm as a radius. close end of handle
  4. from end of handle to center point of R22 and R50. strike both arcs
  5. at 15 degrees from centerline and with centerpoint being R22 and R50 pulled 2 parallel lines 43mm from center. These are the outermost (apex) points of the 15 degree tilted ellipse. I also draw parallel lines 19mm from center.
  6. Here is where I'm unsure how the center point for the arc with R34 is located. And how does the curvature from R50 and R34 resolve? Do I use an irregular curve to connect these two radii?
Thanks for any help!
First off, welcome to the group!
I don't know anything about drafting, but looking at the drawing, it appears to me that the
R34 and R50 radii "change over" at the point that R25 intersects them. It doesn't seem
that you need to resolve it in the sense of a gradual change. I would draw R50, then R25
and then R34. As for R34, it looks as though the lower line that defines the 86mm width of the
spanner could be used as a tangent line. Draw a 34mm line 90 degrees to it, find the center point,
and draw the arc. Actually, it looks like you would have to do that twice for the upper and lower radii.

How's that for a completely uniformed opinion?

My son just started class for a one year Solidworks certification program. One of his classes started
the students out with manual drafting. He has some art background as well, but he told me he likes
the drafting because it satisfies his OCD. :) (which he actually doesn't have...)

Thanks for the FREE drawings @Buffalo Bob. I will deffanatly make the clamp and depth gauge sometime in the future.

-Michael-

If you know the dimension for R34 then locate the tangent or transition points at each end.

Use these points as center and swing arcs towards the to be determined center point.

Where they cross is center.

For the body of wrench wrong order.

Center line first "construction type"

Strike a construction line vertical at end of body.

Set compas to 16 radius and arc to vertical line at each end.

Now draw horizontal.

The trick is not using a ruler over and over.

Your compas has many uses, locating things and creating parallel lies.

Look for high school drafting books from pre 1980.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I think I got it! Thanks, @Nogoingback and @tq60. As suggested I set the compass at 16mm and marked out the horizontal lines from there instead of using the ruler again. I found the tangent points to all the different radii and struck my arcs. Keeping the line weight consistent between compass-drawn lines and visible lines is a difficult match. The break away (cutout) line is weird and needs fewer craggy parts. Tried for the fourth time in making the least amount of construction lines. Not perfect but not bad?
Letters are all over the place.
(The scales are changed over to imperial for the next drawing.)

Attachments

• 2021_1016_Spanner001.jpg
    2021_1016_Spanner001.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 2021_1016_Spanner002.jpg
    2021_1016_Spanner002.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2021_1016_Spanner003.jpg
    2021_1016_Spanner003.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 28
Back