My mill won't run!

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
Good morning,
I have a HiTorque bench mill, 5500. It's about 2 1/2 years old. Bought new from LMS.
It's always been a great little machine.
Today hit the power button, it came on, all is good.
I hit start and the spindle didn't move and in a few seconds there was an error message.
I tried turning the speed control all the way down, hit start and no error. Then when I advance the control, the spindle doesn't move and I get the error.
Reverse, same. Tapping mode, same.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what i need to check out?
thx,
Jim

Can you turn the spindle by hand? I don't own that model(5500) but I get the same error message on my 3990 when the spindle is locked, I would give LMS a quick call and ask them for their opinion/help.

my 3990 started giving fault on starting.. replaced the push type connectors where the power cord connects to the mills wires with some good solid connectors (wire nuts) problem solved.. there are some trouble shooting pages on LMS website..

Mine does that when I forgetfully leave the spindle brake on it. So, I’m guessing the spindle or motor is locked up somehow. As Ken asked, can you turn the spindle by hand? Does the quill move freely up and down? Have you added any accessories, spindle brake, etc., that could be keeping the spindle from turning? If not, FWIW, here’s what I would check before I called LMS for help.

1. Take the draw bar/spindle cap off to see if anything got in there that could bind the spindle.
2. With the machine unplugged, take the head cover off and see if something is binding the belt or if something got under the pulley and is jamming it.
3. Still with the machine unplugged, loosen the motor mounting bolts to release tension on the belt and remove it and see if either the spindle or the motor will or won’t turn by hand.
4. If you find no obvious fix, call LMS with the above info in hand and ask to speak to Chris or Brandon.

Let us know what you find.

Tom

Good morning,
I have a HiTorque bench mill, 5500. It's about 2 1/2 years old. Bought new from LMS.
It's always been a great little machine.
Today hit the power button, it came on, all is good.
I hit start and the spindle didn't move and in a few seconds there was an error message.
I tried turning the speed control all the way down, hit start and no error. Then when I advance the control, the spindle doesn't move and I get the error.
Reverse, same. Tapping mode, same.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what i need to check out?
thx,
Jim
the machine will turn by hand. Not only that, the tach will read when you turn it. The problem is electrical and seems to have something to do with the speed control.

Does it give an error code or just a useless "ERR", or something else?

Does the emergency stop button latch?
If so, is it pushed?

manual here: https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/ug/5500 Bench Mill instruction manual (SIEG).pdf
says nothing about errors on the display......

but it does say:
View attachment 303647

Is the fault light "brighted"? ;)

-brino
my machine has a different control box.
There's no E stop.
It has main power on and off and start/stop buttons for the spindle.

Jim,

Unfortunately then, it may not be an easy fix.
It sure does sound like a controller electronics problem.
Unpluging it and then poking around looking for loose/bad connections might be the only thing left.

Can you post a picture of the controller board? If you are comfortable with electronics, maybe someone can walk you through some component checks on the board.

Contacting LMS is likely a great step too.

Good luck!

-brino

have you changed where you plug in the mill,, GFI outlets and breakers can cause problems for brushless motor systems..

Back