[4]

My Misc Quickie Projects

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Firgure I'd make a thread to document some of my quick & simple projects that don't justify getting their own thread. :big grin:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I have limited space in my home shop. Not enough real estate to bolt things down in their own dedicated space so I made a plate for my hand shear that I can just clamp to a table then put away when not needed.

I love what I call my cheater machine, aka chamfering machine.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Upgraded my chip shield that I use for the mill often. Bought a cheap articulating arm for a camera a while back & the mag base I had laying around. This one was really simple to put together, only needed to drill/tap a hole & shorten one other thread. The old arm was annoying to use & was very limited on movement. I'm really happy how great this one works now.

Here's what the old arm looked like.

Although, I didn't need a replacement shield yet, glad MSC was out of stock. MSC's price was not bad, less than $5 but I just stopped by my local plastics guy & he cut me 3 sheets for $10.

mikey

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Gonna make me one of those. I can mill without picking chips out of my shirt and can even use a slitting saw without leaving a trail of oil across my chest. Thanks for the inspiration, Will!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Haha, no problem Mike. They come in so handy, I use it quite often. Crazy how much they sell for. I was lucky to get mine cheap from Enco but if I hadn't I would have just made one too. Well had I known how much I wouldn't like the original arm I would have just made it to begin with.

So glad none of this ended up on me. :)

ThinWoodsman

Registered
I made a couple of those from some $15 dial indicator stands (same magnetic base, it looks like) and letter-sized sheets of Lexan from the big-box store. They work great; this reminds me I need to make a couple more so I don't have to keep moving them from one machine to another.

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
brilliant. Already shopping for the parts.

tjb

Terry
Upgraded my chip shield that I use for the mill often. Bought a cheap articulating arm for a camera a while back & the mag base I had laying around. This one was really simple to put together, only needed to drill/tap a hole & shorten one other thread. The old arm was annoying to use & was very limited on movement. I'm really happy how great this one works now.

View attachment 288173View attachment 288174

Here's what the old arm looked like.
View attachment 288175

Although, I didn't need a replacement shield yet, glad MSC was out of stock. MSC's price was not bad, less than $5 but I just stopped by my local plastics guy & he cut me 3 sheets for $10.
View attachment 288176
That's pretty nice. I cut some cabinet grade plywood for my milling table to keep chips out of the t-slots.

I'd like to add a deflector shield which obviously won't work with a magnetic base on top of the plywood. I'll need to do some experimenting, but I suspect it could be attached to the front- or rear-face of the table.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Terry

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty nice. I cut some cabinet grade plywood for my milling table to keep chips out of the t-slots.

View attachment 288216

I'd like to add a deflector shield which obviously won't work with a magnetic base on top of the plywood. I'll need to do some experimenting, but I suspect it could be attached to the front- or rear-face of the table.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Terry
As you said, could always stick the mage base to the front or rear face of the table. I've also seen some people make a shield to attach to the rear jaw of the vise as well as attach a shield to a rod & mount it in that hole that's next to the quill lock. In fact I believe they sell premade units in both those styles.

Reactions: tjb

tjb

Terry
Or just epoxy a 2" square of 1/8" Steel Sheet metal to the plywood as a spot to stick the mag base.
That's a great idea! I can actually think of an enhancement that's slightly more practical. A minor downside to the plywood is that it 'moves' pretty easily if you bump it. Not a big deal, but I had thought about putting a wooden or metal lathing strip on the underside that would ride in the T-slot. It would be a relatively simple matter to drill two or three through-holes and connect the lathing strip on the underside to a metal strip or tab on the top. Accomplishes two objectives: stability and anchor for a mag base.

Thanks for the idea.

Regards,
Terry

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
That's a great idea! I can actually think of an enhancement that's slightly more practical. A minor downside to the plywood is that it 'moves' pretty easily if you bump it. Not a big deal, but I had thought about putting a wooden or metal lathing strip on the underside that would ride in the T-slot. It would be a relatively simple matter to drill two or three through-holes and connect the lathing strip on the underside to a metal strip or tab on the top. Accomplishes two objectives: stability and anchor for a mag base.

Thanks for the idea.

Regards,
Terry
Those commercially made ones are like that and are molded into the cover/tray. But all you really need is only 2 dowels for each cover & is what most people do.

Attachments

Reactions: tjb

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Had an extra cold air gun sitting around for years. Figure I'd try it out on the mill. Hopefully it works better on the mill (have one for the lathe too) for blowing chips out the way in addition to coolant that I manually spray on. They sure are air hungry so I may not use it much but hey it's there now. Maybe some day I will suck it up & hook up the flood coolant. Well probably not, I'll probably get a Fogbuster to try first.

Just had to buy some fittings to run an extra air line to the mill, a couple of hoses, & make a distribution block to replace the one that was for the stock coolant. Mounted a regulator & filter on the back of the column.

20190505_233542.jpg20190505_233658.jpg20190505_233725.jpg20190505_233840.jpg20190505_233423.jpg
20190422_182225.jpg20190505_234122.jpg

mikey

Active User
Nice set up, Will. I'm anxious to see how it works. I've heard cold air guns are air hogs that require a big compressor but if it cools the work well then it might be worth the expense. Keep us posted!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Mike. Yeah, I have 77 gallons of air, I don't run the guns at recommended psi, & they still use a lot of air. The one I have on the lathe I only use when drilling titanium or for knurling. It works ok in addition to spraying on coolant manually. Firgured for the mill it will work better milling slots etc where I need to blow chips out the way. I originally was just going to run straight air for that but firgured I'd give this a go. Nothing is permanent so I can easily uninstall the setup. I definitely wouldn't buy one of these at full price, I scored 2 of them for cheap on ebay years ago.

20190506_004031.jpgIMG_0909.JPG

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
We use the cold air guns at work for cooling our shot rollers . We blow poly thru extruders onto the rollers which would get quite hot without them . Never considered using one on a mill , although now you have me thinking . ;)

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Now I feel like an absolute heathen, using cardboard and masking tape LOL
Oh, I've used cardboard many times & still do sometimes. I'm too lazy to use tape though, I'll just hold the cardboard. :big grin:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'm a believer in KISS (keep it stupid simple) but sometimes I don't listen to myself.....

I wanted to make a new torque arm for my tapping head. This is what I've been using that I quickly threw together to get a big project done. I never liked this one cause the stop arm on the Tapmatic rubs up & down the bar as the quill is moved & it's limited in height to whatever the length of the bar is. If the workpiece is higher up from the vise I'd have to make it taller.

20131016_210716.jpg

I wanted something mounted to the quill but not clamped onto the quill like the other style Tapmatic sells. So I came up with this great idea (so I thought) to make a mount that bolted onto the clamping screw for my quill bracket.

Ordered a hard to find extended length fully threaded SHCS, made a mount to attach to that extended cap screw, & used a thumbscrew to attach a 5/16" piece of grade 5 titanium (I have a number rods on hand so why not).

20190524_125238.jpg20190524_125345.jpg20190524_125417.jpg

Well the idea seemed good in my head & I sort of liked how it came out but it was a fail. The whole thing flexed too much at the extended cap screw & the 5/16" bar. It might have worked but on to plan B....

Here's where KISS was the better way. I simply drilled & reamed a hole in my depth stop arm & tapped a hole for the same thumbscrew. This time I used a 3/8" piece of titanium (again had it laying around, I have a big bundle of 3/8" rods). I really wanted the stop arm for the Tapmatic to be off to the side or towards the back so it's out the way but I can live with this. I don't use it that often anyway so no big deal. The torque arm is quickly removed using the thumbscrew, so much more convenient than the table mounted torque arm, & now I can use the tapping head at any height off the table. I'm happy now. :big grin:

20190524_125633.jpg20190524_125746.jpg20190524_125503.jpg20190524_125524.jpg20190524_125551.jpg

Latinrascalrg1

Brass
Registered
I believe the saying is KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid. I too thought it was the way you stated and was quickly corrected by a group of WW2 vets at the local vfw post back when i was a kid. I wasn't given a reason as to why only that, "it was what it was!"

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Haha, it was definitely the case for me on this one. And not the first time so I guess you are right, thanks for clearing that up! :D

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Not much of a project & no machining involved but I'm happy now. Was gonna make holders for my grease guns cause I finally got sick of them leaking. Couldn't find the right size PVC that I wanted. I purchased these from Summit Racing when I was ordering new control arm bushings for my truck. Much cleaner & easier than what I had in mind to make. Using pieces of Pig mats in the drip trays. The original boxes I was storing them in are completely oil soaked.

Yeah yeah, I know, supposed to store grease guns uncompressed to help prevent the separation but I use them often & I ain't got no time for all that. :big grin:

20190814_155307-600x880.jpg20190812_211352-800x450.jpg20190813_172728-800x450.jpg

[5] [7]