My Misc Quickie Projects

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Firgure I'd make a thread to document some of my quick & simple projects that don't justify getting their own thread. :big grin:

I have limited space in my home shop. Not enough real estate to bolt things down in their own dedicated space so I made a plate for my hand shear that I can just clamp to a table then put away when not needed.

I love what I call my cheater machine, aka chamfering machine.

Upgraded my chip shield that I use for the mill often. Bought a cheap articulating arm for a camera a while back & the mag base I had laying around. This one was really simple to put together, only needed to drill/tap a hole & shorten one other thread. The old arm was annoying to use & was very limited on movement. I'm really happy how great this one works now.

Here's what the old arm looked like.

Although, I didn't need a replacement shield yet, glad MSC was out of stock. MSC's price was not bad, less than $5 but I just stopped by my local plastics guy & he cut me 3 sheets for $10.

Haha, no problem Mike. They come in so handy, I use it quite often. Crazy how much they sell for. I was lucky to get mine cheap from Enco but if I hadn't I would have just made one too. Well had I known how much I wouldn't like the original arm I would have just made it to begin with.

So glad none of this ended up on me. :)

I made a couple of those from some $15 dial indicator stands (same magnetic base, it looks like) and letter-sized sheets of Lexan from the big-box store. They work great; this reminds me I need to make a couple more so I don't have to keep moving them from one machine to another.

Upgraded my chip shield that I use for the mill often. Bought a cheap articulating arm for a camera a while back & the mag base I had laying around. This one was really simple to put together, only needed to drill/tap a hole & shorten one other thread. The old arm was annoying to use & was very limited on movement. I'm really happy how great this one works now.

View attachment 288173View attachment 288174

Here's what the old arm looked like.
View attachment 288175

Although, I didn't need a replacement shield yet, glad MSC was out of stock. MSC's price was not bad, less than $5 but I just stopped by my local plastics guy & he cut me 3 sheets for $10.
View attachment 288176
That's pretty nice. I cut some cabinet grade plywood for my milling table to keep chips out of the t-slots.

I'd like to add a deflector shield which obviously won't work with a magnetic base on top of the plywood. I'll need to do some experimenting, but I suspect it could be attached to the front- or rear-face of the table.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Terry

That's pretty nice. I cut some cabinet grade plywood for my milling table to keep chips out of the t-slots.

View attachment 288216

I'd like to add a deflector shield which obviously won't work with a magnetic base on top of the plywood. I'll need to do some experimenting, but I suspect it could be attached to the front- or rear-face of the table.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Terry

As you said, could always stick the mage base to the front or rear face of the table. I've also seen some people make a shield to attach to the rear jaw of the vise as well as attach a shield to a rod & mount it in that hole that's next to the quill lock. In fact I believe they sell premade units in both those styles.

Reactions: tjb
I keep meaning to make a chip shield, thanks for the easy method!

Back