My MMC Curse.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Seems to always happen to me but only from Mcmaster. Placed an order earlier this week. 1 hr after the order shipped I realized I forgot to order something that was only a couple of bucks & I really need it. So the next day I had to place another order from Mcmaster for a $2 item but because it seemed like such a waste for shipping I ordered other stuff that I didn't really need to spend money on right now. No wonder I'm broke. But at least from Mcmaster it gets delivered the next day.

I wish Mcmaster was closer to me so I could do will call orders, they're an 1hr drive from me each way. But I had hoped for a local MSC & that happened. I can still hope but I know with MMC that won't happen as it doesn't make sense for them.

I've had that happen too. Sometimes you can call them before the order ships and add the item on.
M

Just imagine. Some of us didn’t even know there was such a thing as a mmc store until this very moment. They just thought it was an online thing. Imagine how hard life has been for them.

I’m glad someone has good luck with MMC, I’ve ordered from them about 7-8 times and they screwed up on about 6 of them. The only people I trust less than MMC is MSC.

That sucks. MSC & MMC are my 2 favorite places to buy from.

I’m glad someone has good luck with MMC, I’ve ordered from them about 7-8 times and they screwed up on about 6 of them. The only people I trust less than MMC is MSC.

B21, sorry to hear of your bad luck with MMC, you may just have a bad MMC branch. I have been ordering from MMC for about ten years or so, I can’t recall a single order that they have screwed-up but that is another branch that is just about seventy miles away from me in Chicago. I have always gotten the order the next day and sometimes the same day. I believe they have a contract with an independent shipping company, I think it is called Diamond, that makes daily runs to Milwaukee.

Generally I have always had a good experience with McMaster. One of my gripes is their unwillingness to move into the 21st century and calculate tax & shipping at checkout. I honestly don't know of another company, online or by phone who treats non-credit account purchases this way. Even most companies I have credit accounts with send an invoice for approval before charging and shipping.

My last order from a few days ago was for $24 worth of material, the largest parts being two 1/4" x 36" SS rods. Similar items in that past have never exceeded $10 for shipping and usually came in a box 2x bigger than necessary. When the invoice came, which is after the items shipped, the shipping charge was $28. I called to ask why and was told the shipping cost was due to being shipped in two packages. The other item was a small packet of 3mm fiber washers that could have easily fit the the tube the rods were in.

When I asked why they were sent separately the customer service person didn't know. When I expressed my annoyance at the excessive shipping charge and not being able to see the shipping charges at the time of order, they apologized, refunded the shipping and said next time I want to order just call and they will tell me the total including tax & shipping costs.

Now I appreciate the refund and told them all I was looking for was an equitable shipping cost and not a full refund but I almost always place my orders after hours so calling isn't a reasonable option.

My only other real gripe is they don't provide the manufacturer of many of the products they sell which can make a big difference on determining the value of the purchase. I can only speculate they do that because they have multiple sources for those items.

Anybody miss Enco? Got some great deals from them in the past. I like the variety of product MSC sells but you just can't get the killer deals from them like you could from Enco if you were patient.

Anybody miss Enco? Got some great deals from them in the past. I like the variety of product MSC sells but you just can't get the killer deals from them like you could from Enco if you were patient.
Yes.

Back