My MMC Curse.

jbolt, all great points. Both the lack of transparency of shipping costs and the fact that they don’t display the manufacturer on their website are definitely two downsides to McMaster-Carr. As far as shipping is concerned, our situation in a Milwaukee may be somewhat unique. Milwaukee has always been a manufacturing center and MMC must send enough to Milwaukee from their branch in Chicago that that have a daily runs here with a private delivery service. As I mentioned earlier, I often get packages the same day if I order first thing in the morning, so I figure I am getting express, same day delivery without paying extra and I bet they pay less for their private service. It works for me but I would definitely like to see the shipping charge at the time of the order.

I find the fact that they don’t display the manufacturer much more of a problem. I figured that they just didn’t want you to know so you won’t make direct comparisons with places like MSC, Shars, Zoro, etc. but your point about multiple manufacturers is one I had not thought of and is a very good. When I have had a question about a manufacturer I have phoned them and they are happy to give me the information.

I couple of other positives for MMC: for me, they have been outstanding with returns even if the product was not defective and they have replaced defective items promptly even before they receive the defective item. Also, I find their website really easy to use and I love the detailed drawings that you can access. One of my sons does computer stuff for a living. I showed him MMC website a while back because I was so impressed. He agreed that it is a very impressive website and indicated that it probably was very expensive to build and maintain.

Last point, that I think has already been made, they are family owned, and I like that.

I think the reason for a delayed shipping cost is they have stuff going out by every which way mail ,ups,fed ex, Ive seen beast bee delivery, local delivery services. So prices vary they are still competitive on shipping cost at least it isnt sky high like shars. Manufacturers are most likely gonna be top tier vs bottom of the barrel, and US made where possible.
I usually do all my ordering through work so I don’t see the shipping. Is what it is.

I really like MMC. Always have what you need when you need it. I feel like there shipping is a bit high, but I’m in Vermont, everything costs more to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like MMC. Always have what you need when you need it. I feel like there shipping is a bit high, but I’m in Vermont, everything costs more to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, shipping is always right around $6-$7. That's cheaper than what USPS charges these days. I've never ordered anything huge or very heavy though. Bar stock is about the bulkiest I have ever ordered from MMC. But as you said could be distance, they're about an hr drive away from me.

And my curse continues.....

A couple of weeks ago I placed an order. Sure enough, the day after I receive my order I forgot that I needed 2 more items. Luckily my brother was visiting last Sunday so he picked up the items for me on the way here. Pretty cool that Mcmaster does will call orders on Saturdays & now on Sundays too which I did not know. Well that 2 item ordere turned into a 6 item order!

Now yesterday I discovered I needed yet another 2 items. At least this time I didn't forget to add these items to that last order, just didn't know I needed them at the time. But now my "only need 2 items" order has turned into $40 worth of a bunch of plastic protective tubes! I want to place the order now so I don’t think of more stuff that I "need" but if I do I know I will think of something tomorrow that I should've added to the order.

Guess it will never end. Maybe I should just move across the street to them. :D

You need to start a "wish list" cart where you load up all the needs and wants as you realize you need them then when you go to make an order you dont forget those small cheap items that you dont feel right about ordering by themselves and pick and choose which makes it to the current order.

Haha I do. Been doing that for yrs for all the places I buy from frequently & have lists in my phone. This only happens to me with Mcmaster & no one else. That's why it's a curse!

Back