My New 1340GT

I'll let others chime in who own this lathe, but one tip in addition to the main lifting straps I use some additional ratchet straps to keep it from tilting left/right forward/back, these come in handy once you lift it as you can use the ratchet straps to ratchet it level for lowering onto the stand.

Bill,
See lifting, only use headstock and tailstock for balance. Now use a D ring.
PM1340 Lift.jpg

Question for those with this or similar lathes: What's the best way of rigging this for hoisting with a 2T shop hoist? I assume I will be coming in with the hoist at the headstock end as that is the heaviest but not having done this before I'm not sure where to run the lifting straps (other than inside the drive and leadscrews...)

Bill,

I have not raised mine yet... however I have read a few threads on this and seen a few pics.
The balance point is an inch or two from the headstock, under the ways... It is VERY important, when rigging the sling (preferred to use strap style support), to arrange so the strap does NOT apply pressure to the lead-screw or any of the bars/screws along the front of the way... which control the carriage. Some folks have put a board under the ways to spread the straps, some folks ran the strap between the frame and the lead screws... Regardless, be sure not to apply pressure to the screws/bars.
Personally, my plan is to put the main sling against the headstock under the ways, and a second strap towards the tailstock end. That way, I have some control over the angle it hangs.
If I get it on the stand... will take pics along the way.

Hope this helps.

Bill,
See lifting, only use headstock and tailstock for balance. Now use a D ring.
View attachment 97604

That is an excellent idea Mark... I had not thought of putting a strap through the spindle. That would be positive support of the heavy part, with control of the other parts. I like the total 3 straps... lots of control!

THX for posting the pic, just at the right time!

Appreciate it!

I am not sure I would want to put abnormal stress on the spindle by loading it with a strap. It might not damage it, but why risk it?

The spindle and the bearings are probably one of the most critical components on the lathe, and not built as beefy as the rest. Since the COG of the lathe is close to the headstock, that strap would end up supporting a good amount of weight.

I've started a new thread to talk about the setup of my lathe. :)

Back