My new 1952 Delta DP-220

ksierens

Active User
Registered
I recently picked up a Delta DP-220, well actually I placed an add on Craigslist to find an X-Y table for my existing Craftsman Drill Press. I guy contacted me with an Atlas W-68, just what I was looking for. I asked him what else he had for sale, and he sent me some pictures, one of which was a DP-220 drill press. I also noticed in the pictures that there were 2 spindles for it hanging on the wall behind it. When I went to look at it, I also noticed that there was a second table was was not visible in the pictures, and I found a third spindle, so I bought the drill press and the X-Y table!

Now I already had a newer Craftsman 15" drill press that was my father

in-laws, but they just don't compare to the old steel.

Here are a few shots of it after I cleaned and polished it up, and got it down in my shop.

dp-220.png

dp-2202.png

dp-220.png dp-2202.png

Your shop is cleaner than my living room.

Nice looking machine by the way.

Depending on what you paid for it, you might just qualify for the "special" award... What does everyones else think?

I agree with you Shawn, it is very quiet and operates smoothly, that's why I am going to sell my 15" Craftsman floor model, and the 15" Craftsman King Seeley bench top I picked up with plans to restore. Your post on the table balancer is nice, but I am going to make a slow speed adapter that will be mounted on top of the column. I plan on building a table lifter like pictured below. Already have it drawn up, should not cost much to build.

Ray, I ended up paying $450 for everything, and could not talk the guy down. Originally he said he would take $125 for the X-Y table, which I was obviously happy about, and with each spindle going to about $50, I look at it as getting the drill press for $175, plus some other stuff got thrown in. Oh, and when I picked up the King Seeley, the guy threw in the mortise attachment shown in the picture which did not fit the King Seeley, but is defiantly for the Delta.

Also, Shawn, I might suck, but I still have that nice big table =)

images.jpg

images.jpg

Yup, YOU SUCK! But in a very good way, what a cool piece of machinery in great condition, I like it.

Ok, since I suck so much, here are my other machines .... =)

Benchmaster Vertical mill w/rotary table

IMG_0542s.jpg

IMG_0544s.jpg

Craftsman 101.21200 (Atlas 6x18)

lathe-1.png

accesories-1.png

Unimat DB-200

IMG_0510S.png

IMG_0428s.jpg

IMG_0426s.jpg

IMG_0425s.jpg

IMG_0542s.jpg IMG_0544s.jpg lathe-1.png accesories-1.png IMG_0510S.png IMG_0428s.jpg IMG_0426s.jpg IMG_0425s.jpg

Last edited:
You sir SUCK! All very nice old machines , and well cared for. The bench master mill is just to cute! I wanna give it a hug, LOL. Seriously it looks great, complete with a rotary table in equally as good condition. You have a great collection there, I am envious.

Your shop is beautiful, and scaring me at the same time.

What spindles do you have for the DP? I am looking for recommendations for MT2 drill presses.

Bernie

Nice score on the DP-220. I have a number of them and they are great machines. I also have a newer Craftsman 15 inch which has been setup for mortising. I doubt it will ever see another drill bit. Very nice shop. If mine was that clean I might be affraid to use it.

Your shop is beautiful, and scaring me at the same time.

What spindles do you have for the DP? I am looking for recommendations for MT2 drill presses.

Bernie

Bernie, it has a J33, 1mt, 1/2 bore for mortise bits and 5/16" for shaper bits. There was also one with a 1/2" male thread for wire wheels.

I think that the old 17" Delta's had a 2mt spindle though.

Back