My new acquisition

Just make sure one of the first projects is something your wife really needs :)

Just make sure one of the first projects is something your wife really needs :)

That would be great, but sadly as many things as can be made on a vertical mill, Endless Limit Credit Cards, have yet to come to available. If she sees the two big blocks sitting in the storage building, I bought at auction today before they are picked up, I am going to be sleeping with them. Even though they are quick turn around profit.

Well I hope you slept well last night :)

Did you get the door off Ebay?

Well I hope you slept well last night :)

Did you get the door off Ebay?

LOL, was a bit of a restless evening when she saw the storage building open. But she relented when she realized it was going to make money.

And, yes I got my door. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Also found a pair of original guards that went on the step pulley head. They are the ones with the built in hinge and s cooling slots milled in. The profit off the motors going to go a very long way on the rebuild, or funds for auction this coming week to buy more stuff for the shop.

Re: My new acquisition and it's rebuild

Busy week trying to work on Bridgeport, attending some equipment auctions, and looking at lathes. I do have another head coming, it is a Bridgeport head. I just felt while spending the money, would go ahead and do it right. I compared the cost of buying the missing parts, and rebuild parts, to buying another head complete and rebuilding it. In the end I am only outlaying an additional $200 dollars over the rebuild of the Birmingham head.

Got most of the bolts degreased, crude cleaned out, and soaked in evapo rust.

DSCN3766.jpg

I am going to make a quick run on the buffer with them, nothing to polish them to a high buff but to freshen them up. Some will get a fresh black oxide coating.

Worked on the saddle some. Cleaned up, ready for the filler.

DSCN3768.jpg

Been working on table alot, it has been the mot time consuming of all. The rust was not bad, but alot of cleaning.

Before

DSCN3670.jpg

After

DSCN3767.jpg

Lots of elbow grease, solvents, copper scrubbies and extra fine stainless and brass brushes. Still got a little ways to go. I had to take a extra fine Norton honing stones to spots. There were little places that annoyed me.

One wiper reataining plate was cracked. I replaced it, and put the other one to the buffer. I still need to do final color polish to both of them.

Before

DSCN3769.jpg

After

DSCN3771.jpg

I managed to win the auction for the door. Not bad deal in the end less than $30 for door and shipping.

It is slowly getting there. At times I consider throwing it back together, rattle canning it and making chips. Just can't do it. Just everytime I start working on it, gives me new direction and pride to see it coming back to life.

The quest for a lathe has really pushed me into a new realm. I found a used South Bend, but this would be a long term project. I will post up the info on this search in the South Bend forum.

Work on the Bridgeport had slowed somewhat these last two weeks. Family obligations, my dad's eye surgery, wife's reserves, and grandkids ate up lots of time. Installing the new top on the wife's benz ate up all last weekend, but it was her anniversary gift. promised to have it done. I finally got my new Bridgeport head in this week.

DSCN3828.jpg

DSCN3829.jpg

Was problems with the shipping, that had me stressing but it is home now and really happy. Took it too local motor shop, and had the motor tested. Passed with flying colors. They said clean it up, paint and good to go.

I continued to have problems with getting the replacement x axis lead screw from the gentleman I bought the machine from. So I broke down and bought a new set, or actually new to me set. They came out of a barely used machine being converted for CNC. Look basically brand new.

DSCN3832.jpg

DSCN3833.jpg

DSCN3834.jpg

Newer style split nut, they look great. And I was utterly amazed the way the seller packed and shipped them. No way they were going to get damaged.

Finally decided to go with the new Servo powerfeeds. These are the latest that they have imported for them. I got both the x and y axis for under 800 bucks. Came with everything to mount. I will try to get photos of them this weekend and put them up. Really nice solid units. And servo stands behind their units. Same basic design as they 1000 buck units without the handle.

DSCN3830.jpg

I have about everything ready for paint and reassembly, still gotta work on the base and knee, then I can get it together.

DSCN3828.jpg

DSCN3829.jpg

DSCN3832.jpg

DSCN3833.jpg

DSCN3834.jpg

DSCN3830.jpg

Lookin good!!! That’s the nice thing about having a BP, parts are readily available. And parts can be misrepresented too! I once bought a BP feedscrew that had the same story as when you got yours, barely used, switched over to CNC. Reading your last post prompted me to tell you to please check the feedscrew(s) for wear. You can use the three wire method effectively. Just compare all the readings up and down the screw for any abnormal variances. I can’t recall the numbers I got, all they told me was his story was all bull. Cost me return shipping! Never again! I ended up buying new feedscrews and nuts. I couldn’t be happier. My BP is like a new machine now! Good Luck on yours!

Lookin good!!! That’s the nice thing about having a BP, parts are readily available. And parts can be misrepresented too! I once bought a BP feedscrew that had the same story as when you got yours, barely used, switched over to CNC. Reading your last post prompted me to tell you to please check the feedscrew(s) for wear. You can use the three wire method effectively. Just compare all the readings up and down the screw for any abnormal variances. I can’t recall the numbers I got, all they told me was his story was all bull. Cost me return shipping! Never again! I ended up buying new feedscrews and nuts. I couldn’t be happier. My BP is like a new machine now! Good Luck on yours!

Thanks, I forgot about measuring using three wire. I went over it with the thread micrometer, but the three wire is much more accurate in the overall length measurement. I will check again just to be safe.

Back