My "new" American Tool Works Lathe

MrFixIt

Registered
Registered
Hey all, I just bought an American Tool Works lathe yesterday. It needs some help, but was still in use up to purchase. Manually though, there's a destroyed gear out of the gear box.

It's been converted to a chain drive off of a 3 speed transmission run with a 220 motor.

Here's a couple of pics from the ad, I hadn't had a chance to take my own yet, I will and get close ups of all the accessories.

Any information about this particular machine would be welcome, searched yield info about the company, but not the specific machine. I haven't located the serial number yet, but there is a brass tag on the L/S with 190 on it, maybe that's the model?

Forgive me if I get my terminology wrong, it's been over 20 years since I touched a lathe, so it's best if I go forward as a newb as I've pretty much forgotten what little I learned back then.

TIA for any input!

American Toolworks Lathe.jpg American Toolworks Lathe 2.jpg

You'll earn your name with that one! Looking forward to your pics, keep us posted on your progress.

Wife and I went to a threshing show this past weekend.
Coincidentally, I found this ones exact twin brother in a shed, covered with rags and chains.
I was able to clear enough trash away to pet it.
I'm glad there is somebody investing time and attention into the family.
I'm very much looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

I just did a quick Google search, check out:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1004&tab=3&sort=2&th=false&fl=

http://www.bourn-koch.com/home/cnc_machine_parts/american_tool_2.html

Daryl
MN

i saw that lathe last week on CL,
i'm glad a member got it!
nice lathe,
i look forward to see what you do to her!

Beautiful "new" lathe!

The only thing that makes me cringe a little is seeing the chuck key left in the chuck.....even with the power cord hanging across it.

-brino

Beautiful "new" lathe!

The only thing that makes me cringe a little is seeing the chuck key left in the chuck.....even with the power cord hanging across it.

-brino
I would guess you got the chuck key in the gut also.

Nice, but I am a little confused. It looks like they removed the gear from the backgear and replaced it with a sprocket and are running the backgear to power it. You do have 4 chucks and if it were cheap and close I wouldn't pass it up. I am sure you noticed there are no thread cutting capabilities, but great for bushings and such. Jonathan

It was close, most likely overpaid some though. The QC box and gears came with it, in a bucket; it's a mess. If the seller was a little more honest about it or I was more on the ball I would have offered less.
But that's the past, and the rest of the lathe seems to be pretty healthy, just won't be cutting threads.
The drive is a work of art! I'll have to take some pictures and post them up here.

Beautiful "new" lathe!

-brino

Ugh, guys at work used to do that a lot with the drill press. I think my nagging paid off though, haven't seen it in quite a while. Either that or no one's used it.

Back