My new Benchmaster

Bellwether

Active User
Registered
I braved going into San Francisco yesterday to pic up this early benchmaster that I found on CL. It's a nice machine, the ways are tight, and it purrs like a kitten. It came with a couple of vises, a full set of collets, miscellaneous mills, and a complete clamp set. It also has the big square base that, from pictures that I've seen, doesn't seem too common? It didn't come with the belt guard either so I'll need to find one...if that's possible. This is my first mill, so now I just need to learn how to use it!

DSC_0825.JPG DSC_0826.JPG DSC_0827.JPG

Thanks, guys. The knee moves fairly easily from the bottom up to about 3/4 of the way up. After that it's nearly too tight to turn. I suppose there's no way to fix this without making the lower 3/4 of the travel loose, is there?

Wow!! Great score finding that on the west coast!! I am so jealous

It sounds like you may have a bent lead screw on the Z axis? I would think this would be a fairly common issue with these mills considering the leadscrew extends so far below the machine when the table is at its lowest position.

Shawn
You think so? I thought it might be that the machined surface up at the top of the travel was tight from such little use and vice versa for where it moved easily. It does have all of the original machine marks from the factory at the top. I'll check on that though, Thanks for the input.

How would I go about fixing the lead screw, beat it straight, try to find a new one, or is there another option?

How would I go about fixing the lead screw, beat it straight, try to find a new one, or is there another option?

If you want to straighten it, use a press and 'V' blocks, otherwise I'd replace it. An item with threads rarely responds well to being beaten (even if you have a fully equipped dungeon to do it in). :))

M

I just made a new one when I modified my GO727 I also increased the diameter so bending would not be an issue. There easy to make or you can buy acme threaded rod weld a slug on the end and machine down what you need.. Ray

If you want to straighten it, use a press and 'V' blocks, otherwise I'd replace it. An item with threads rarely responds well to being beaten (even if you have a fully equipped dungeon to do it in). :))
Ha ha! I suppose I didn't mean to literally beat it, just straighten it one way or another and your way sounds like the right way. Thank you.
M
I suppose I didn't mean to literally beat it, just straighten it one way or another and your way sounds like the ticket. Thank you.
I just made a new one when I modified my GO727 I also increased the diameter so bending would not be an issue. There easy to make or you can buy acme threaded rod weld a slug on the end and machine down what you need.. Ray
That sounds like a good idea, too. I'll have to look into making one if need be. Thanks fellas!

Back