My "new" Clausing 5904

Well, she's all painted up and mostly reassembled.

35197d3b7778b338d0e626ac822a6318.jpg

The bison backplate I have is slightly too large to fit my bison chuck. The "plug" needs to be machined down a small amount to fit. Is this normal for a bison backplate? I kind of assumed it would fit right on, but perhaps this is so the chuck can be trued up a bit to the lathe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

It looks better in the photo than in person, but I'm happy. I sprayed the removable parts and brushed the rest, but if I did it over again, I would spray the whole lathe. It turned out much better. I wasn't sure if the Benjamin Moore Super Spec would be okay if I thinned it (the can says "do not thin"). I thinned it with acetone and got a nice, smooth finish. The only problem is that it takes a long time to dry, whether brushed or sprayed.

Now I just need to find an L00 backplate and a decent 4 jaw chuck.

Well, it's finished!

Turned a piece of mild steel tonight and I have to say that I'm really impressed. Nice finish with zero effort. Definitely miles beyond my 8" junior south bend and the Sheldon the Clausing replaced.

VFD install was painless, too!

Here she is in her new home, all wired up and leveled:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1409702432.150498.jpg

One question - does everyone bolt their lathe to the floor? Do I need to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1409702432.150498.jpg

djb25,

Everyone doesn't bolt their machines down. Some even put them on fixed height casters. But it's my opinion that one should follow the manufacturer's instructions which at least on the smaller lathes will always say to bolt it down. In most cases it will reduce vibration because the mass of the floor is added to the mass of the machine. The lighter the lathe is, the more adding mass helps.

Nice looking machine.

Robert D.

Well, it's finished!

One question - does everyone bolt their lathe to the floor? Do I need to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Okay, I did a search and found the info on the belts.

This came from a thread on a 5914, but as far as I can tell, the belts are the same.

The timing belt (from countershaft to spindle), Clausing part no. 051-047, is a 630H150 timing belt, 1/2" Pitch, 1-1/2" Width, 126 Teeth, 63.00" Pitch Length.

The variable speed belt is a 1930v400 belt, 30 Degree Angle Pulley, Cogged, 1.2" Top Width, 0.47" Height, 40" Pitch Length.

Both are actually available from Amazon. $56.90 for the timing belt and $60.10 for the variable speed belt.

Unless someone advises me otherwise, I'm going to order one of each. My timing belt is in pretty rough shape.

I realize this thread is a little old but do you know if the variable speed belt you mentioned is the same as a 6913 Clausing? I want to get a spare of each of these belts. The 051-047 is the same as what I see in my manual but I cant find a manual for the 5904 you bought. My manual shows 051-038 as the variable belt is what I need. Is that the same as the variable belt number you posted? Any help is appreciated.

I realize this thread is a little old but do you know if the variable speed belt you mentioned is the same as a 6913 Clausing? I want to get a spare of each of these belts. The 051-047 is the same as what I see in my manual but I cant find a manual for the 5904 you bought. My manual shows 051-038 as the variable belt is what I need. Is that the same as the variable belt number you posted? Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for taking so long to reply... although, three months isn’t quite as long as three years.

According to my manual, the variable speed belt part number is 051-036. So it may not be the same for the 6913.

Sorry for taking so long to reply... although, three months isn’t quite as long as three years.

According to my manual, the variable speed belt part number is 051-036. So it may not be the same for the 6913.

No problem on time. Thanks for the the reply too. I appreciate it.

Back