My New Clausing Colchester Mk1.5 13"x36"

eodcoduto

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen,
I am still in the hunt for my first lathe. I have found a Clausing Colchester and a Takisawa TSL 800, both local and oddly enough both are being sold by son-in-laws for the their father-in-laws. I found out the info that I needed for both machines. Both come with tooling, the Takisawa has more, but both were owned by machinists and they are the same price. Which one is the better long term purchase?

Colchester.jpg Takisawa TSl 800 Webb.jpg

Last edited:
Can't answer your questions as I'm not familiar enough with those lathes. But I do like a Colchester but don't have one. :crushed:

I got an answer back on the Webb, it a 1979 model with an 1800 rpm spindle. It should have a 1.380" spindle bore.

Have you looked at possible wear of the ways with the Clausing? I am curious how it has held up over the years. Reason I ask, is a shop has a similar 13" Colchester lathe for sale about 400 miles from me and I have been thinking of going over to look. But it's a long drive if the lathe isn't in the condition they say. Just curious how these machines hold up generally with the oiler drill into them...

Thanks
Glenn

I haven't looked at the lathe yet, I might be able to this weekend or next week. It is a 3 hour drive each way and I hate LA traffic!

Does either one have obvious show stoppers (i.e. broken items)? Either one can be a fine machine. Is the power requirements an issue for either one? You say the Takisawa has more tooling - what tooling? Things like taper attachment, steady rest, follower rest, carriage stop will be very hard to find. Chucks, QC tooling, tailstock tooling are easy to find. Does one of the machines have better features (per your definitions). Features such as the size of the spindle bore, spindle type, slowest speed, fastest speed, inch/metric threading. If that still does not sway you, then consider the small tooling (most of which is easy to get, but all costs money so if one has more, then go with the one that has the most items). It looks like the Takisawa has a foot break and the Colchester does not. I have two lathes, one with a foot break and one with out a break - not a big deal, but the break is nice.

Does the Takisawa have a collet closer (Royal style - on the run)? - that would be cool.

Let us know how you make out.

The tooling with the Takisawa consists of 4 chucks, steady rests and a bunch of cutting tools and consumables but no taper or collet system. The Clausing has a collet system and the son-in-law says it has a lot of tooling, but he doesn't have a list. I can't tell if it has a taper attachment on it yet. The Clausing has a longer bed and that is important as I plan on doing some gun work and in a few years repairing/making parts for old tractors and farm equipment.

The clausing is a very rigid machine. You cant go wrong plus you can find parts for it. Not so sure about the other one?

I am going to look at the Clausing next Friday. He is selling some other shop tools as well so I might come home with some new equipment and broke!

Nothing wrong with being broke, if you've got tools to show for it.

I'd opt for the Clausing, I've had experience with them, they are a well known company.

Back