My New G0704 Mill

Nice machine Mike. I have the PM-25 and could not be happier. Congrats!

Thanks Brooks.
Got everything level and head trammed.
Chucked up my homemade Flycutter with a carbide insert in a collett and tried it on a piece of 1" Aluminum. It looked like a mirror after one pass.
Made another AXA Tool Holder last night and it turned out great. A whole lot easier than using the milling attachment on the lathe.
The only thing I have a problem with is the Chips flying allover the place.
You know a way to limit that without a lot of fabricating?

Definitely gonna get a power feed for the table. Getting tired of cranking the wheels on each end. :D

Try aluminum flashing, get a roll at HD, 10" wide and easy to bend. Bend a 90* at the bottom and glue some magnets on.

I have the 759 and just love having the DRO's to go with the mill. I moved up from an X2. You're gonna have a lot of fun with the 704.

One of the first modifications I did was to get rid of the mostly useless chip shield the lawyers forced on us. My rotary table and larger parts wouldn't pass it. Chips have a way of migrating, especially if you are milling dry. I use a mister and it makes the chips sticky enough to stay close to the mill. Keep a broom and shop vac handy so you don't end up with little bits of metal all over the house.

Another thing to keep an eye out for is the X-axis table locks hitting your vice. They snap off pretty easy.

Thanks Brooks, I'll give that a try.

Larry, Already found that out. :oops:
Snapped off the right one last night. Going to have to fab up some for all of them out of Aluminum as I'll probably need them also.
I'll have to check on a mister, if their not to costly.

Thanks Brooks, I'll give that a try.

Larry, Already found that out. :oops:
Snapped off the right one last night. Going to have to fab up some for all of them out of Aluminum as I'll probably need them also.
I'll have to check on a mister, if their not to costly.

Take a look at the Noga mini mister. I just watched a video review and it looks like a really nice little unit. There are separate adjustments for air and fluid.

One of the first modifications I did was to get rid of the mostly useless chip shield the lawyers forced on us. My rotary table and larger parts wouldn't pass it.
My X2 mini-mill came with a rigid chip shield, and it had pretty much the same problem(s). I replaced it with a piece of clear vinyl sheet (about .045 or .060" thick) attached to a random chunk of aluminum bar. It's flexible enough to be deflected by fixturing or parts, but thick enough to stop flying chips. Gets dirty from coolants/chips sometimes, but it's easy to wipe off. Maybe you can adapt the idea for use with your mill.

Mill shield.jpg

Back