My New G0704 Mill

I was thinking of doing that on the sides and back since it already has the front one. Have to see if Home Depot or Lowes has some of that thick clear plastic.

Thanks John.

First actual project piece.
Sure was a lot easier on the mill than it was on the lathe using the milling attachment.
Drilling all of the holes on the mill was easier than the Drill press too. Lined up perfectly.
Need to get one of those tapping heads so I can do it all on the mill.
Now I have to make some more of the height stop wheels on the lathe.

upload_2015-7-29_7-55-22.png

upload_2015-7-29_7-55-32.png

upload_2015-7-29_7-55-40.png

I have had good luck tapping with my G0704 without a tapping head. I just run it at the lowest speed and keep my hand near the stop button.

Congrats on the new mill :congrats:I have had mine about 5 years I guess. Adding the power feed was my first mod. Counting turns got old real quick:headache: Then came the igaging scales. Never ends.:laughing:

I was looking at the Grizzly X- Axis power feed and will have to wait to build up funds to get it.
I was looking at http://www.migration.g0704.com/G0704_dvdrom.html and thinking about buying his plans for the G0704.
I'll have to look at getting a DRO setup sometime also.

Hey Mike, I got the Hoss plans when I had a G0704 on order, but ended up with a PM-25. They are very detailed with lots of great information. You don't need them for the power feed or DRO install.

I have a DRO Pros and am very happy with it. At $700 they are not cheap, but make beginners much mor confident. For a lower cost option check out

http://www.yuriystoys.com

For a lower cost option. I have purchased all the parts for a DRO on my lathe, but not put it together yet.

Thanks Brooks,
but DRO Pros is way out of my price range. That is ridiculous, they want just as much for a 3 axis setup than I paid for the whole mill.
I believe I'll stick with piecing together my own setup.
Plenty of iGaging setups online that are 1/10th of the cost for what they want and everyone seems to be happy with them.
I was looking to get Hoss's plans for the belt drive conversion.

Bought a used Grizzly T23010 Power feed for my G0704 on Ebay for $180 and installed it today.
Installation was a bit of a pain as I had to use a regular hex key to screw in the cap screws to the table.
1/4 turn at a time and not in the easiest place to access. Got both tightened down and then had to mark, drill and tap the holes for the limiting switch on the front. Got it all mounted and plugged it in.
That thing will sure be a relief to cranking on the hand wheels.
It works great and can be unlocked to still use the hand wheel on the right end.
When I get around to adding a DRO, I'll have to mount the scale on the back of the table.

upload_2015-11-1_0-35-25.png

upload_2015-11-1_0-35-40.png

upload_2015-11-1_0-35-49.png

Very nice. I didn't install the limit switch as I had already installed my dro scale on the front of the table so as not to take up any of the limited Y-axis travel. Lots of ways to do this though. My Griz power feed has worked flawlessly on my PM25. You will definitely enjoy not having to crank that X-axis handle on long cuts. :)

Was using my mill tonight and stripped out the plastic gear on top that the motor gear turns.
Good thing I already had the belt drive pulleys done and just waiting for a good time to install.
I guess that means I'll have to do it now since I need the mill to finish a project.
Got most of it taken apart tonight and just need to get the intermediate gears out and then put the new motor plate and pulleys on.
Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Back