My new Grizzly G0761 Mill

Redmech

Registered
Registered
So Friday I received my brand new G0761, a couple days before I received the G7156 4" "premium milling vise" and T25937 5" Rotary table/indexing head.

I spent last Saturday building the stand, and was able to get it moved into its resting spot, stand painted, and mill mounted. Sunday I did the break in, and changed the oil, and started tramming the head. The left to right I was able to adjust. I used my indicator setup, 4" out away from spindle, so about a 8" circle. The front to rear which there is no adjustment is about .009" out over the 8" swing, my math says its .057 degrees off, essentially 3 minutes and a few seconds off.

I've seen the video of using epoxy and copper wire to tram the head in to zero. Here is what I think I may try, I have an assortment of shim stock, I will shim it till it measures correctly. See if .006" on one side will zero everything out. If that will, I'll take a piece of 1/4" plate steel and either mill, or mill and grind a tapered shim plate to put in between column and base. Should work I think, and I have plenty of 1/4" plate around for this project.

pictures up shortly,

Using my surface plate and height gage, the vise is very parallel, less than .001" variation, I'm pleased with it so far.

I can't see how your column mounts to the base, but you might want to check for sand or casting flash between the column and base. My Mill had some, and cleaning it off help bring the tram in.

I've checked to make sure the 4 bolts are tight, but you bring up a good point, I haven't separated it to see if there is any foreign material or high spots. good thinking. This weekend, I'll check into that.

I reckon I can see a bolt back there.
I would do what dat510 suggests.
If it works well and good, if not I would scrape the column. I feel this would be the most accurate method.
Lots of work though.

I loosened up the hardware between the column and the base. Stacked up some lumber between the bed and table, and lowered the head, separating the base by a bit. I saw a bunch of crude, metal shavings and that sort of thing. I reached up under through my table and brushed out what you see in the second picture into this clean drain pan, this was setting on top of the base enclosed by the hollow section of the column. The screws that hold the back cover on that allow access to the Z axis screw were finger tight or I mean loose, makes me question all the other hardware on this machine.

Up till this point I was fairly pleased with all of this mill (shy of being out of tram front to back by .009"), but I know this isn't a high end mil. I am very disappointed at the amount of shavings left behind. I'd like to think that these outfits would have the machining done before paint and assembly, and have better housekeeping than this. So tomorrow or this weekend I'll install some longer bolts, and get my cherry picker hooked up separate the top from the base, and do a thorough cleaning and knock down any high spots, retorque, and check the tram.

Here are a few pics,

Untitled by redmech, on Flickr

Untitled by redmech, on Flickr

If you haven't already done so make sure your Z axis gib is properly adjusted. If it's too loose the head will "nod" and will show up as a plus dial indicator reading on the front edge of the table when checking tram. I have a PM-932 mill and I tighten the Z axis gib until a .002" feeler gauge can be inserted between the gib and column dovetail about 1".

Tom S.

Amazing what you find in these machines eh, I had a headstock with a heap of sand in it. Needless to say its now clean. I wouldn't be surprised if your tram comes up pretty much closer.
Enjoy.

Back