My New Lathe.

wm460

Active User
Registered
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

crossed_fingers.gif

monkon.gif

Congrats on the lathe purchase. Maybe you can make her something she needs, then everyone will be happy. Cheers, Mike

NIce, but now you need to find something to make her happy again. Then things will get better as you get more things to go with it.
again congratulations

Fantastic, good to see these lathes getting a new lease of life.

What is the model number on the main face plate? I'm just curious.

Fantastic, good to see these lathes getting a new lease of life.

What is the model number on the main face plate? I'm just curious.

My lathe is No 17002, like wise am curious of the number of yours.

Nice looking machine. It appears to be very well made and the tooling will be a great asset.

Img_1921.jpg

Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

20170209_214048_zpspjmhc6uz.jpg

Last edited:
Back