My new old Deckel FP1

Awsome, thank you for posting. Good to see some activity in this part of the forum.

I have the equivalent offering from Maho (MH600) and love it. I also have not used a DRO fitted machine, but have recently purchased a DRO Pro kit and will post the installation of that DRO in this part of the forum.

Congrats on the "new" machine.

Thanks Chipper. Good to see there are a few of us with German machines. I vote we make this a lively part of the forum :))
I am still waiting to pick up the machine as the seller is holding it for me. I need to clear out a few machines to make room and he has agreed to wait for me. I am really biting at the bit to get it home. I have a few machining tasks to get done and have been keeping my current mill clean as it is up for sale.

Feel free to post pictures of your Maho. I am really interested in those machines. There are a few with the opinion that Maho is superior to Deckel. I don't know the facts around these claims but am certainly interested in hearing more about the machine.

Paul.

There are a few with the opinion that Maho is superior to Deckel. I don't know the facts around these claims but am certainly interested in hearing more about the machine.

Paul.

I don't think one could say Maho / Deckel are superior to the other. I think they are both good machines. Okay, I admit I have never operated the equivalent Deckel machine. Per the spec sheet - the FP1 and the MH600 are very, very similar. Deckel offers more attachements, and the accessories are slightly more available on the used machine market.

Chipper, any pictures of you machine? What accessories do you have and how have you found the machine in use?

Paul.

Chipper, any pictures of you machine? What accessories do you have and how have you found the machine in use?

Paul.

Sure, see the thread I started in this forum: Maho - "Universal ..."

I just sold my Jungner VF600 to make room for the Deckel so I should be picking it up soon. The only issue is that the pallet it is sitting on is an inch too narrow for my high lift pallet jack. This is going to take some logistical mastery as I will need to get help getting it off the trailer and then need to borrow a pallet jack to get the mill into place into the garage. I also have not worked out where I will be putting the large tool cabinet full of the accessories.

I really don't have much choice but to extend the garage. I am hard pressed for space as I have a mixed shop with wood and metal working. Wood working machines generally require more floor space so they eat up a lot of available room.

Paul.

Paul,
can't you make a special (wider) pallet for the FP1 and have it lifted (it's shown how in the manual)
onto your pallet at the place where you've bought it?

Alternatively you have to make some kind of crane (hoist?) to lift it off your trailer, remove the trailer
and then lower it onto your new pallet.

But I'm sure I'd prefer to transport it bolted to as wide a pallet as possible. The engineer/doctor in Munich
I know built a special pallet for his FP2 when he picked it up. His website is brufnut.de.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Paul,
can't you make a special (wider) pallet for the FP1 and have it lifted (it's shown how in the manual)
onto your pallet at the place where you've bought it?

Alternatively you have to make some kind of crane (hoist?) to lift it off your trailer, remove the trailer
and then lower it onto your new pallet.

But I'm sure I'd prefer to transport it bolted to as wide a pallet as possible. The engineer/doctor in Munich
I know built a special pallet for his FP2 when he picked it up. His website is brufnut.de.

Cheers
Erik

We ended up knocking the feet off the pallet and re-attaching them a little further out from the center. This gave enough room for the pallet jack to be slid under the pallet. I ended up moving the mill with the help of Jan Sverre and Tommy and it's now sitting in my garage, waiting to be transported to my shipping container workshop. I just need to get back from Houston and start work on the insulating.

Paul.

Thanks Erik, and thanks again for all the advice and encouragement in the purchasing process. I have already located a universal table for 2450 DKK and will be picking it up soon. I am really suprised that it was so new as I thought that it was a late 50's model. That would indicate that the head is a bearing model, not a bush model.

As I said, if you happen across a slotting head or a boring head with spacer, please let me know as soon as you do. I can't wait to get it home and set up. I am still not sure if I will get rid of the electrical cabinet. I like to keep things as original as possible :))

Thanks again for the assistance.

Paul.
hello samthedog, I have seen a deckel slotting head for sale in the uk, i can't post a link to it until i have 2 more posts. I'll try a personal message. Chucky

Thanks Chucky. I tried to locate it but couldn't find it. A friend has offered me his slotting head which has a slightly scratched dovetail but the price will be about £300 - £350. It will need a repaint and a little bit of tlc.

Paul.

That's a lot cheaper than the one on the website I told you about, that one was £1150 quid but he says is unused. To find it you really need to scroll down quite a way. It's just after the rotary phase converter. The saving you'll make with the cheaper one will let you buy more toys though. Glad you got sorted.

Back