My new (old) Index mill

rtorres

Registered
Registered
Greetings,
I am new (beginner) to the hobby of machining. I am learning from websites like Hobby Machinist and folks on YouTube.
I recently acquired an Index Mill and I cannot seem to find a label for model or serial number.
Could someone please point me to where it might be labeled? This is what I have found so far...
Index_Label-1.jpg Index_Label-2.jpg

This is the label on the motor (replacement?)
Peerless-1.5Hp.jpg

This is the mill.
Index_Mill.jpg

Thank you in advanced for your assistance.

BaronJ

Registered
Registered
Hi rtorres,

Looks like a useful mill. Have a look on "Lathes UK" there might be a chance that is some information there.

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was thinking the model is 55, not sure. Either way, it is a wells index, The company is still around, and info can be found at vintagemachinery.org .

rtorres

Registered
Registered
Thank you all for your responses and information. I will look at the links provided. And yes Trip, I have to agree with you, I do believe my is also a 40H. Again, thank you all for responding. I am looking forward to fun times ahead!

rtorres

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen, would any of you know where the serial number might be located on the machine?

rtorres

Registered
Registered
Hi ezduzit, I noticed in your picture where your strap is to lift the lathe. How is it not bending the feed screw?

rtorres

Registered
Registered
Hi Trip,
I found my serial number. It is 40H 2990
Thanks for the info on where to look.

BaronJ

Registered
Registered
Not bad for a 70+ year old machine. I wish I could come across something like that.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code