My new PM932M-PDF, the good, bad and ugly

good to see some positive reports too. honest reports good and bad and updates after a few months and even years with use are what people need.

I'm very apprehensive as to what has become of the Taiwanese QC as well in this covid situation. I guess there's a few of us who will find out in a few weeks when we get the next shipment of 1340GTs and 833s. Little doubt that Taiwan was affected as well. We will see just how much so.
I'm not going to speak on behalf of machine tool importers/distributors but from where I sit, EVERYONE around the GLOBE is going through a crisis of labor shortage and knowledge LOST.

This for whatever host of reasons we want to believe has adversely affected everyone at all levels.

I would expect both good and bad when buying price point machines from any source. Grizzly has built a huge company on a business plan of selling inconsistent quality but making it right with the buyer. Better publicity when fixing a problem than with upcharging to avoid the problem. Whether you buy new or used, you need to be lucky or mechanically inclined. The sweet spot with used is buying a higher end machine than you can afford new. You will have fixing to do but there is reward for the risk. Price point new is all about the seller's credibility but you are not out there all alone like with used.

I'm a used guy but it has taken years of learning to reduce the risk. Buying new still requires the same skills but the support system is better. Keep the expectations in line with the economics. A 3K machine built overseas and shipped, freighted, and resold was probably built for 1K by the manufacturer. Expecting no risk is folly. Dave

While I'm not a fan of quality issues in this type of equipment, I think machinists, whether hobby or pro, are seeking the best precision they can find. So we're a tough crowd to satisfy. I do wonder if a Heathkit type approach to some of this machinery would be of interest. Of course the problem is you generally need some level of working machinery to proceed.

Ugh. Ive been lurking for years and finally scratched up enough $ for a 932, these kids of isues makes me want to reconcider.
Reminds me of the issues you used to get with chinese machines 20 years ago to be quite honest.
This isnt common is it?

I recently got a 935 myself and figured I would be doing all sorts of remedial work like when I bought other Asian made machinery. Not so, I was very pleasantly surprised to find fit and finish very good. Clean up the cosmoline, bolt on the accessories an begin using, no regrets.

I recently got a 935 myself and figured I would be doing all sorts of remedial work like when I bought other Asian made machinery. Not so, I was very pleasantly surprised to find fit and finish very good. Clean up the cosmoline, bolt on the accessories an begin using, no regrets.
Am i to understand this "935" you got in near Asia is the same as a 932 available in the US?

His 935 is a knee mill from Taiwan. It's not the same as a 932.
Oh, I see. well what i do understand the Taiwan machines and Chinese are quite the difference in quality.
I suppose my question still stands

I suppose my question still stands
I don't know how common it is to have as many issues on one machine like the OP has dealt with. But what seems to be common is you will be more likely to have issues with a machine from mainland China compared to a machine from Taiwan.

My advice would be to save a little more money and go with the 833 instead.

Back