My new (really, new) Logan Model 820

Wolfram Malukker

Registered
Registered
I think this thing's been used twice. I bought it out of a home sale where it was not known that it was there-the old man's wood shop was full of tools but no one noticed the lathe, because it was completely buried under a pile of wood chips and sawdust. When the family went to shovel out the dust...CLANG! It's complete, and has all the available features of a model 820. It will make a fine replacement for my Atlas 12x36, which needs more love than I can give to be put into "very good" condition. The logan is almost there. The paint has all started to peel and lift, from being stored in oily wood chips, so I am currently stripping the old paint and re-painting with good machine paint. Up until today, at 3:30PM, I worked for a local machine shop as a process engineer...but today, I was made redundant and let go.

One thing-it came with what I believe is an original logan taper attachment, but I am not sure. I'll take photos of it tomorrow, this one clamps on to the rear flat way, instead of bolting to the lathe bed like others I am familiar with.

Since I'll have plenty of spare time for a while, I plan to go ahead and finish the repaint and re-assembly during the between-jobs time. Maybe I'll do some turning or pour a few castings to make some money on the side, but more than likely, I'll just finish the minor restoration, convert to a VFD, and fit a boring table so I can fix my home built shaper. (I built the shaper in high school using the Gingery methods, but I was too financially strapped to buy the book. I built it from the pictures I could find on the internet.) The shaper is missing a few key details that I didn't get at the time, but among the most important is that the down slide does not sit flat against the ram face. I may have to do some significant rework there to get it straight.

Looking forward to pics of the restoration. Sorry about your job.
I would love to see your shaper.
Cheers
Martin

Great find!

I found a 820 on CL's last week and getting ready to put it back together (completely disassembled to move it) today. http://www.lathe.com/ser-no.htm is a list of Logan serial numbers and year made associated with those numbers.

Best of luck on your job search.

Worked on it more this weekend, and cleaned up the bed enough to see the serial number-this thing was PACKED in sawdust. Mine is a 1946 build date, serial 37728.

Coupla nice things from Andy Lofquist showed up today, the A-11 Cross slide/Boring table and the the Angle Plate. It's been a while, but I still remember how to do an angle plate solely on the lathe.

Alright, photo time. Let's see if we can ID some bits and pieces here:

Loading it up in the back of the truck:

YnHTLX8.jpg

q1qb6U7.jpg

Alright, photo time. Let's see if we can ID some bits and pieces here:

Loading it up in the back of the truck:

YnHTLX8.jpg

q1qb6U7.jpg

Once home, all the parts were counted and the books were put away.

N7mNvzW.jpg

EfLJTwy.jpg

Mixed up a bit of a modified alkyd enamel, I think I got pretty close to the only parts that have the original paint left:

EzP3o1G.jpg

Now that I've got the paint matched fairly well, I started stripping off the 1970's shag-carpet-green, some red smears, and a LOT of chipped and blistered blue-black.

Vv1DgUf.jpg

eSaSMPp.jpg

Citristrip seems to work just fine removing the old leaded paint, without causing dust. A scrub down with some hot TSP and they'll be ready to repaint.

Here's some photos of the taper attachment that I am having a hard time identifying. It appears to be the part delivered with the 1920 11" lathe, looking at photos. It works just fine with this 820, though.

WjhHVIL.jpg

jevvUIR.jpg

VNvv8WC.jpg

UcLeOcL.jpg

z8W8Pxz.jpg

The gib strip is missing out of the slide block, I'll have to make another one. Also the stud in the slide block is gone, it the bolt that is currently there needs a stack of washers to position the cross-slide bracket correctly without binding.

This lathe will get a 3-phase motor conversion and VFD, and may eventually become a cabinet model. The original motor that was fitted was 3-phase, but the motor I've got here that came with it is a 220v reversible, with a Furnas branded drum switch. It wasn't the original fitment, it was bolted to a wooden block and the block bolted to the motor bracket.

I'll have more photos as I get more work done.

Picked up a motor for this today, was wandering through the scrapyard and found a Baldor inverter-duty 1HP/3ph on top of the bin that didn't look like it had been there long. Turned the pulley, and the bearings were pretty rough, so I knew why it was out of service. Took it down the street to the rewinder and had it hi-pot tested, it passed at 3000V and showed zero inter-winding issues. He had the bearings on the shelf, so 19$ later, I have a good motor and a pair of new bearings to suit, just gotta scrub it down, hit it with some glyptal, and change the bearings on the armature.

It will work well with the Automation Direct GS1 drive I picked up out of a control cabinet in the same scrapyard a few weeks ago. There were four in the cabinet, out of the four three were still good and the fourth was pretty crispy. I am keeping my eyes open for a good control cabinet, I've got a small one that will work but it will be tight.

I'm another newbie 820 owner, so am enjoying this as well. And, I appreciate your far deeper knowledge of how these things work...but I'm learning!
Tim

Back