[4]

My new ride!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
She sure is purty, Greg - congrats!

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Congrats indeed. My favorite all time motorcycle was my R75/5. It was a simple mechanical wonder IMHO. It had the factory tool roll(all Hazet) and I could almost completely disassemble the bike with it. The only thing I hated was those cursed Bing carbs. They ran down the road fine but syc for idle was an art I never mastered.

Be safe and have fun.

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Hard to beat a Beemer - - -

except with my Ducati !! :wink:

Just kidding. It's a beautiful bike. BMWs are hard not to fall in love with.

Come to Kansas and we'll experience the "Land of the Southwinds" (seemingly always 40 mph)!

woodtickgreg

Active User
Hard to beat a Beemer - - -

except with my Ducati !! :wink:

Just kidding. It's a beautiful bike. BMWs are hard not to fall in love with.

Come to Kansas and we'll experience the "Land of the Southwinds" (seemingly always 40 mph)!
I dig Ducati's ! I lust for a new monster just to scare the crap out of myself on occasion, they look sexy and sound great!
I have had many bikes in my lifetime, had a bike before a car even. Last bike I had was an 1800 Goldwing, great bike. I have always wanted a Beemer, the opportunity came up, I had the cash, she was well cared for and needed a home so I snapped her up. 2004 R1200CLC, 24,000 miles, lots of extra's, fuel injected, has the top trunk, all original and not molested. Newer tires and brakes, cruise control, heated grips and seats, shaft drive. I'll go over her real good over the winter and install a fresh battery and windshield, plugs, air filter, engine oil, filter, and drive shaft oil change, I'll change the alternator belt and fuel filter and do anything else that might need attention. It's a beautiful machine and I'm very excited and happy about it. The owner did drop it on it's side so it has a few slight scratches on the engine and bag guards but they did their job. Helped that the po threw his body under it, lol.
I have slowed down a bit, don't really have a need for speed much anymore, but comfort? now your talking, and this thing has that.

Groundhog

woodtickgreg,
We have common motorcycle histories. Never been without some kind of bike or scooter since I was 13. Put 82,000 miles on a HD Low-Rider in '80 to '82!
A couple of years ago I decided to go for comfort and luxury also. Went from a KTM 990 Advenure to the present Duc Multistrada (this is the largest windshield I've ever had!). And it sounds like our winters will be similar. Time for my 22,500 mile service which includes timing belts and valve adjustment on the Testastretta engine (no valve springs). Then I should be ready for a few trips of several thousand each miles next summer. So, maybe I'll concede that you have me beat in the comfort (and for the sensibility) departments. I'm 69 so maybe I'll decide to get a true touring bike like yours in a few years!
Sure looks and sounds like you got a super bike. I envy you. I've never had a Beemer, but not from the lack of want. Ride safe & stop and say hello if you ever pass through here.

Groundhog

The forum gods have gotten our locations back (under our avatars), so my town is there - Salina, KS. Junction of I-70 and I-135 / US 81

woodtickgreg

Active User
I'm usually on my cell phone and it doesn't show them. I have been wanting to do a south trip to Texas, I also have a friend in ks.
Not in the summer though, to damn hot for this yankee!

Groundhog

Hot, flat, windy, barren, boring and dusty. Did I mention windy? Other than that it's pretty nice.

But, there is a really good motorcycle museum about 30 miles from here; Kansas Motorcycle Museum

rzbill

The cheapest thing in an airplane is the pilot.
Registered
Nice new toy, Woodtickgreg! Thanks for letting me know there is a forum for bikes too. I had not realized one existed.
I'll post a couple of pics in a different thread.

Enjoy the modern machine! Mine are all ancient. :rolleyes:

woodtickgreg

Active User
I got her home today! Was a beautiful 50 degree day so that made a 40 minute ride very enjoyable. Bike rides real nice. I have never had a bike with floorboards so this is going to take some getting used to.

20171124_162833.jpg

20171124_162843.jpg

20171124_162858.jpg
Girlfriend took a couple of pics of me sitting on it.
20171124_162921.jpg

20171124_162926.jpg
I'm very happy today!
20171124_162941.jpg
The radio and CD changer is a piece of crap! The p.o. has had it changed at least 4 ti.es and the display is currently not working. I'm thinking of just removing it, that will free up some space in the right saddle bag by removing the CD changer. I might try and find a decent aftermarket radio without CD and maybe just Bluetooth. I don't usually listen to the radio when I'm to riding anyway so it will probably just go bye bye.

woodtickgreg

Active User
I'm thinking ditch the radio, new windshield, and tune up. Needs a good cleaning and polishing too. Has sat a long time. Rode really nice though, very comfortable, not fast, just smooth. I dig the sound of this bike.

R

Robert LaLonde

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I've ridden a couple Beamers, and I was always a little annoyed by the higher frequency vibration in the handle bars. A dealer let me demo a brand new R1150GS dual sport once (even told me about some trails I could try after I showed him a knew how to ride) and in just a few miles of riding one of my hands was a little numb, and the other was tingley. That may sound funny since I have ridden shake and rattle Harleys for years, but the vibration of the Harley (even a rigid mount engine) doesn't make my hands tingle. No I am not a Harley zealot. Just using it for comparison. I've owned probably close to 30 bikes over the years and only 5 of them were hogs. I did have another bike with a similar vibration to the Beamers. A Yahama HS650. It didn't make my hands numb, but I was a LOT younger when I owned that one.

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Strange,I have had less than 2000 miles on various Beamers, but have never noticed any vibrations like that. If I bought a bike today,
it would be a BMW twin.

CHuck the grumpy one

woodtickgreg

Active User
I cant ride a crotch rocket for very long because of the same thing, did about 40 minutes on the bike riding it home on the freeways and I had no issues. Even some bicycles make my hands go numb. But this bike for me puts me at a very relaxed comfortable position so far.

rzbill

The cheapest thing in an airplane is the pilot.
Registered
Interesting how individual experiences are different. I have over 110K on my old airhead beemer. To be honest, I never had hand problems on it or my crotch rocket for 30 years but about 5 years ago I started noticing the problem. Now both of them will buzz my hands to sleep. I have written it off to old age (of me not the bikes). My solution is just to ride faster to reduce the time gripping the bars..... :)

[6]
[5] [7]