My ‘new’ Select 1/2V Milling Machine

Yes same family ‘A1S‘ and possible same Taiwan factory. Mine was made in 1979 and basically a Grizzly G1004 equivalent.

Well this is my first post in this forum. Have been posting in the Clausing forum...
This is my first entry to this forum, in fact I joined just so that I could respond to your posting.
What an awesome find, especially all the tooling and the manual!!
I recently got one of these mills, too.
Mine came with one solitary 3/4" collet, and no paperwork. I've been hunting around the internet to see if I could find any useful documentation and I had just about given up and decided to get a manual for a Clausing 8520 instead, of which this seems to be a pretty close copy.
Is there any chance that you'd be willing to make and send me a copy of the manual? Please contact me directly, if you're willing.

Peter P.

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_143629327.jpg
    IMG_20210427_143629327.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 180
The tooling is what sealed the deal.

So what does everyone think this deal was worth? Just curious. I will go into details after hearing some quotes.
About $240, how much did you pay?

:p

Sorry to Peter not responding sooner. Crazy time of the year. Decided not to do any cleaning or restoration on the mill right now since it is still functional. Will make a base with wheels to get into back corner of the shop next to my lathe. May be next winter project.

I have just scanned in my original 'SELECT 1/2V Vertical Milling Machine' Service Manual (free...) and attach as a 40MB PDF. I suggest everyone should also download the 'Grizzly G1004 Instruction Manual'.

Grizzly G1004 Instruction Manual

Grizzly still have some G1004 parts available which should be interchangeable with the Select 1/2V mill. Item# in SELECT Service Manual matches Grizzly online parts list which is an 'A1S' style mill.

Grizzly G1004 Online Parts List

---- A few questions ----
1. Have not figured out how to get the fine spindle feed to work. Not sure about the knurled knob on the left side. Loosen but not sure some thing is suppose to slide?

2. Any recommend DRO scales to uses on this mill?

3. Will need to get a decent vise. Any suggestions? Have been watching used Kurt D60, D601, D675 vises on eBay.

Thanks every one...

Bob G.

Attachments

• SELECT_VerticalMill#1-2V.pdf
    40.3 MB · Views: 285
Sorry to Peter not responding sooner. Crazy time of the year. Decided not to do any cleaning or restoration on the mill right now since it is still functional. Will make a base with wheels to get into back corner of the shop next to my lathe. May be next winter project.

I have just scanned in my original 'SELECT 1/2V Vertical Milling Machine' Service Manual (free...) and attach as a 40MB PDF. I suggest everyone should also download the 'Grizzly G1004 Instruction Manual'.

Grizzly G1004 Instruction Manual

Grizzly still have some G1004 parts available which should be interchangeable with the Select 1/2V mill. Item# in SELECT Service Manual matches Grizzly online parts list which is an 'A1S' style mill.

Grizzly G1004 Online Parts List

---- A few questions ----
1. Have not figured out how to get the fine spindle feed to work. Not sure about the knurled knob on the left side. Loosen but not sure some thing is suppose to slide?

2. Any recommend DRO scales to uses on this mill?

3. Will need to get a decent vise. Any suggestions? Have been watching used Kurt D60, D601, D675 vises on eBay.

Thanks every one...

Bob G.
Bob,
Thanks very much for the manual!

The thing I'm not finding in either the manual you shared or the grizzly one is a lubrication schedule or lubrication specifics for this Mill. I suppose, since all the similar mills I know of use sae 20, that sae 20 is the stuff I should use. The grizzly has a one shot lube system, but this Mill (the "select") has individual oil cups instead of a one shot system.

I also intend to use my Mill as it is, unless a very brief once over shows major problems. The only problem I've found so far is that the locating key for the R8 Collett seems to be broken off or missing. I have some professional machinist friends; one tells me to replace the key before use, and the other days he'd remove it before use if it was still there.

There are as many different opinions as people with opinions.

--Peter

What I figured out so far on my mail is that loosening that knurled knob to the point just before the spring inside pushes it off disengages that wheel on the front left which is the fine quill feed. With the knob backed out like this, the quill lever on the right side should activate the quill just like a basic drill press. Tighten the knurled knob all the way by hand to engage the fine quill feed, which is that hand wheel on the front left above the quill.

Hope this helps. I can take a picture or a short video within the next couple of days if that is needed.

--Peter

Peter here is the link to the newer version of the same mill. They just recommend ISO 68 weight oil which is 20W. When I see something recommend 'ISO 68', I interpret this to be industrial hydraulic oil. I think you will find more info you are looking for in this Grizzly manual.

Grizzly G0728 to G0731 Owners Manual

OK Peter - Got the down feed fine quill figured out. When I unscrew the knurled clutch adjustment nut/knob (item 16) on the left side, the knob will unscrew all the way. The threads of shaft are exposed. I had lightly tap on the knob thinking the clutch may be sticking. This time gave it stonger taps with plastic hammer and the clutch (item 15) popped off the quill pinion shaft (item 12). It was too snug of a fit even after cleaning/oiling the shaft and bore. The spring (item 50) will now pop the clutch out with a tap from the hammer.

One thing I notice it would be good practice to move the quill handle back and forth while tighten the knurled knob to ensure the clutch teeth are full meshed together.

Thanks, Bob G.

Back