My ‘new’ Select 1/2V Milling Machine

Aaron - Manual says 7 x 30, I think that's right, not in a position to confirm currently.

Rich
Rich - that is correct. The machined surface measures out to 7 x 30". Would have been nice if 8x30 but not complaining since it is not a 6x26" like the HF and some of the Grizzly versions. In my search for the 'A1S' style mills, these early mills made in the 60's had the 6x26" tables. Found that Select was selling these mills as early as mid 60's.
The 4" Kurts are not very common and often cost more than a 6". I had been looking for a while to get one for my mill, and finally decided to go for the Glacern since new it was still cheaper than what I saw many trying to get for a used 4" Kurt.

Aaron I did looked the Glacern 4" vises but seems to be all most the price of the Kurts. What did you pay for your vise and when? Wonder what my shipping would cost to the east coast.

Bob - Desert, well perhaps I have unrealistic expectations. Boeing and all nearby, I suspect small gear like you or I would want isn't something they are going to have a lot of. Friend of mine has a shop near here, does a lot of contract work for Boeing, all nc. It seems like there is more used nc gear for sale on CL than anything else around here. Having said that, there was an older version Select mill on CL in Bremerton last week for 750, ad was up for 2 days. I would say definitely there are more small lathes for sale than small mills. Of course small lathes have been manufactured for many more years than small mills. Now I'm rambling.

Been looking for a used 4" Kurt vise locally. Never seen one, lots of 6" on CL here. Bought a cheapy on EB for now.

First project. 2.5" 5 insert sandvik face mill. 0.030" doc, 750 rpm, 11 cuts, probably 1.5 hours. Cutting speed seems low but much noisier if I sped it up. Have 1hp w/inverter so speed changes easy. I was amazed how once cutter was fully onto work, how quiet it was.
Rich,

I do not know about you but when I drive down the road, always wondering what may sitting in old buildings and barns that have been forgotten. Your mill looks to be in great shape. The paint looks great and it does not have to much bondo showing.

Great first project. Always want a piece of rail to make an anvil. Where did you source that rail? Hope you lift it off an existing track! lol.

Rich_Select-12V_Chips.JPG

Rich - that is correct. The machined surface measures out to 7 x 30". Would have been nice if 8x30 but not complaining since it is not a 6x26" like the HF and some of the Grizzly versions. In my search for the 'A1S' style mills, these early mills made in the 60's had the 6x26" tables. Found that Select was selling these mills as early as mid 60's.

Aaron I did looked the Glacern 4" vises but seems to be all most the price of the Kurts. What did you pay for your vise and when? Wonder what my shipping would cost to the east coast.

I got mine last summer, it was on sale for $329 and they had a free shipping deal going as well which probably saved me another $40-50.

Best price I've found on a 4" Kurt was $509, and a lot of the used ones I saw on ebay were $350-400 unless they were really rough looking. 4" vises are just way less popular than 6".

Precision Matthews sells a 4" Homge vise for $269, which is about 1/2 the price of a Kurt.

I have a Homge 6" Rotary table which is made in Taiwan and quite nice. PM doesn't show where the vise is made, but I think Homge is a Taiwan company.

They also make a 5" and 6", so you might check with some of the PM mill owners and see if any have this brand of vise and get their opinion of it.

PM 4" Homge vise.

I do not know about you but when I drive down the road, always wondering what may sitting in old buildings and barns that have been forgotten.
Bob, the stuff dreams are made of. Between pristine machine tools and vintage tin.

Got the rail from a guy at work. 136 lb. He scored 2 - 40' sections from the refinery nearby where we have a laydown yard for some project at his home. He didn't need his "short" pieces anymore. He drives the semi so handling 40' anything isn't an issue for him. I wasn't going to go the full anvil route. I just wanted something really solid to beat on. Going to mc one side so I have a sharp corner.

I've noticed quite a variety of quill diameters in among this huge family of small mills. The Select as I recall measured just over 3" which isn't far behind the BP 3.375" I believe. I was quite impressed with how well my mill handled the railroad track. Not the easiest material by any means.

Happy 4th to everyone. It been awhile since last post.

I purchase a used Kurt D40 vise on eBay for $349 which included free shipping. The vise is in very good condition but the jaws are mismatched. Was going to purchase a Glacern 4” vise for $388 but shipping was additional $92. Ouch. Since I am a novice regarding milling, the used D40 should be good enough.

Bought today a set of new old stock harden vise jaws.

Attachments

• 9367F254-F87F-4359-A2B8-D7062F6BD2BF.jpeg
    9367F254-F87F-4359-A2B8-D7062F6BD2BF.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 58C1EEEB-EFB3-4A3E-8372-438D22B2FDDC.jpeg
    58C1EEEB-EFB3-4A3E-8372-438D22B2FDDC.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 148
Well it has been a while. I have a few simple mill jobs to do so focus back on the mill to use it. It really in great shape for a 50 year old machine after you clean the grime off it. Started first reconditioning the Kurt D40 vice. Amazingly simple design. Unfortunately the top of movable jaw has a lot of ding marks.

Just finished cleaning the mill bed, saddle and knee. A lot of elbow grease and hours later, can now see reflection off the mill bed and all the ways look great! Only noticeably sloop is the belt idler arm pivot.

Any idea for covering the expose front ‘Y’ ways while milling?

Had to lightly file high spots dings in the mill bed. The vise will now float along the bed. I see many people using ‘sharping stone’ touch these precision surfaces. Can someone make recommendation and attach a link? Not sure what to purchase. I deal a lot with McMaster.

Also looking at the “Shop Fox“ D2058A Heavy-Duty Mobile Base which is rated for 1300 lbs to mount the mill on. Any one uses these mobile bases?

Attachments

• 12BCF3D3-9633-4600-8F0B-E1B2F027B0FC.jpeg
    12BCF3D3-9633-4600-8F0B-E1B2F027B0FC.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 64AEF5B0-34D0-4A03-A4BE-62B6AA90F50B.jpeg
    64AEF5B0-34D0-4A03-A4BE-62B6AA90F50B.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 135
  • C38D9CBF-BE05-4A06-9B4C-A6AF411CA87C.jpeg
    C38D9CBF-BE05-4A06-9B4C-A6AF411CA87C.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 133
  • E33C6B3A-BCA8-428F-9479-50001081D2AD.jpeg
    E33C6B3A-BCA8-428F-9479-50001081D2AD.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 6DACC10D-679B-49BF-B260-9B3F46C048A1.jpeg
    6DACC10D-679B-49BF-B260-9B3F46C048A1.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 7E9DC39D-EB8A-4FEA-ACBF-29314F867BAE.jpeg
    7E9DC39D-EB8A-4FEA-ACBF-29314F867BAE.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Any idea for covering the expose front ‘Y’ ways while milling?

I see many people using the running belts from treadmills after they remove the motors to power the equipment.
I'm sure hot chips will melt into them, but they (along with the motors and controllers) are basically free for the price of hauling these well intentioned machines that have become laundry racks out of other peoples basements.

I have saved a few myself, but have not yet installed them.

Had to lightly file high spots dings in the lathe bed. The vise will float along the bed. I see many people using ‘sharping stone’ touch these precision surfaces. Can someone make recommendation and attach a link? Not sure what to purchase. I deal a lot with McMaster.

I believe the fear is that with a file you could actually cut grooves if not careful.
With a sharpening stone, the surface area is much greater and the cutting ability likely less aggresive, so that you end up with a good average by only removing the high spots like dings.

The real beauty is that they need not be expensive:
https://www.mcmaster.com/arkansas-stones/shape~rectangle/

-brino

See if these have a good review.

Back