My new Sheldon UXL 46B

Ststephen7

Registered
Registered
Hi all. I've already learned a lot from this site, practical machinist, as well as the usual suspect youtube machinists. And finally I was able to get myself a lathe!

I joined the Sheldon yahoo group, and john told me this was a 1959 version of the Underdrive 10". A friend helped me get it home and into my unheated garage, where I'll be cleaning it up before (hopefully) moving it to my basement. It runs fine, and is nice and quiet. The U drive works fine and shifts into all of the gears, including back gears.

It didn't come with much... a 6" 4 jaw chuck and live center is really about it. I'll also need a new 'fiber' 30T gear to move the lead screw, and I'm working with someone online to make me a 3D print a replacement. The friend who helped me move it gave me a 4 sided tool holder, however I don't even have 1 cutting tool to put in it yet, so no chips yet. This is a laughably large indexable carbide tool holder there... not sure about that setup...

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions, especially when it comes time to disassemble, move to the basement, and reassemble.

I've included a few pictures of some stuff that was in one of the drawers. I thought perhaps some of you would know what these things are, as I have no clue what most of it is... junk? Other than perhaps what I'm going to call a collet rack... not sure how it is supposed to mount.

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2996.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

Great lathe , I owned one a long time ago. Does it have a taper attachment. Some of the parts are for a taper attachment. On my Sheldon the collets were in the drawer. But the holder I think is for off the back corner by the tailstock usually on south bends anyway. Good luck with your baby.

Nice beast you got there- bet it weighs a fair amount too
Mark

Congrats on your Lathe, a great find, if you need help with info or anything I may be able to help, I’m not far from you and have a Sheldon up and running in the garage.

Thank you! I might take you up on that offer. Another member, Dave, came down from up in Bucks county to help me get it into the basement, and is planning to return to get it leveled, check tailstock alignment, and run through the basics with me... once I get my new cross feed nut back. It's in the mail, so I'm hoping to have it by the end of next week. I had it 3D printed! So we'll see how that works out...

Looks like a nice solid machine. The tool holder arrangement is "unique", and probably pretty rigid. I imagine you will come up with something a bit easier to use, and perhaps a little more balanced ascetically. Congrats on your new addiction. Mike

:eagerness:
You got in the basement without any harm to man or beast?
When you get set up and time, I would like to see what the taper attachment looks like. Even if it is just part of it, trying to wrap my brain around it.
Have to run back through my phone and get your number put in my address book.
Jeff

Yeah... Dave came down, I borrowed a knock down engine hoist, along with 2 come alongs. It took a while, since the 5/16" thick steel chip pan was welded to the cabinet, and we were able to get it into the basement without incident.

About the taper attachment... I would bet my bottom dollar that it was shown in the craigslist pictures. Then when I went to pick it up there was no taper attachment. And the ad had been removed... One of the guys in the shop was talking about how many calls they got, and how some of the callers only wanted parts of it... I think someone made them an off they couldn't refuse for the taper attachment, so I don't have one. I am planning to make my own. There are a few DIY ones on youtube...

Back